3

Sitting in my office at the back of the flower shop I stared at two jeweled flower earrings in my hand. Junior sits at the play table I'd put in the corner for him, drawing away with new crayons.

The pink jewels layered to form a beautiful flower with a little emeralds forming the leaves. Gold outlined the pieces, holding it all together. The studs brought back so many memories. Bubbly laughter. The scent of peonies and lavender. Warmth and comfort. Home.

A knock at the door brought me out of my daydreams. Sara, my only full time employee and friend stood in the doorway. "Penny for your thoughts?"

A smile tugged at my lips and I held out the earrings to her. A mixture of sadness and joy swirled through her blue eyes. "Those were your mother's weren't they?"

I nodded, "Trying to figure out what to do with them. Maybe display them some way."

"That'd be nice. She did love them. Barely saw her without them."

I smiled as Junior stopped coloring to listen. "Yeah they were her favorite. Dad gifted them to her for their tenth anniversary."

"Why don't you wear them now Juu?" Junior asked.

"I would have to get my ears pierced. And I never enjoyed wearing earrings much. Not like mom." I held the earrings out to him and he took them gently like they'd shatter from the smallest shake.

I'd gotten my ears pierced when I was ten. But didn't enjoy the feel or look so I took them out two days later. The holes closed up and I never thought about it since. Mom's old jewelry box sitting on my dresser the past few months had brought that decision back into question though.

Junior's eyes started to water. "I miss mommy."

My heart shattered. He shouldn't have to experience this pain so young. "Me too bud."

Pulling him into my lap he collapsed into me. Small hands clutched my blouse, face burying into my chest. Quiet cries wracked his little body as I held him close rubbing circles on his back. My own tears feel silently as Sara disappeared.

She came back with water bottles, placed them on the desk and closed the door. Leaving us alone to our grief.

Eventually Junior cried himself to sleep. Carefully prying his fingers out of my top I laid him down on the small couch in the office and covered him with a polka dot blanket. Wiping my tears I picked up the water bottle. Soothing my sore throat, clenched from holding back my own cries.

I fixed my mascara before leaving Junior to sleep and headed out to the main floor. Sara was checking out an older man who'd gotten a premade bouquet of roses and carnations when I approached.

After he left I leaned against the counter behind her, "Thank you for the water."

She jumped, spinning around. "Goodness Juniper! Always sneaking up on me. How do you move so silently?"

I shrugged chuckling at her reaction, "Don't know, just how I walk."

"It's those dainty little ballerina feet of yours I bet." She swept her hands through her hair, pulling her hair into a high ponytail.

I shrugged again, "Probably." Then my eyes caught on dark lines and redness behind her left ear, "Is that a new tattoo?"

"Yeah! Went to this new place yesterday, didn't he do an incredible job? Barely even hurt. Think I've tried all the parlors in the city and they're the best." Sara had beautiful tattoos on her inner wrists, and covering her left leg. Paired with her purple pixie cut and incredible eyeliner skills she looked like a walking masterpiece.

Turning her head for me to see I starred at the artwork in aw. I'd never seen such a brilliant and beautiful tattoo. I looked like delicate little chains draped from her ear with sparkling gems dangling from them. She'd gotten a permanent earing. "Oh it's beautiful Sar."

"Isn't it?" She turned to me smiling

"Isn't it?" She turned to me smiling. "When I had walked in and saw it was all huge burley men working in the shop I was worried they couldn't do such a delicate design. But they assured me they could do it, and he did! I'm thinking of going back and having him touch up some of my leg tatts."

The familiar sparkle in her eyes made me smirk. "This tattoo artist wouldn't happen to be attractive as well, would he?"

Sara grinned devilishly, "Like a greek god with a beard. I can't wait to get his hands back on me."

I smiled shaking my head. "Your just gonna get your heart broken again."

"The thrill is worth the heartbreak." She shrugged.

I just shook my head and started cleaning up the counter. Scraps from organizing and wrapping custom bouquets had dirtied the surface over the work day.

"Oh that's what you should do!" Sara's sudden exclamation had me jumping as I turned around, raising an eyebrow. "What, clean up the shop?"

"No! Get your mom's earing tattooed. That way you can have that piece of her always with you without wearing the earrings."

It was a nice idea, but I'd never wanted a tattoo before. "I don't know. I don't think tattoos are for me." Honestly I think a tattoo on a tiny fragile looking girl like me would look ridiculous.

"I think you'd be beautiful with a little flowery tattoo."

I smiled at her compliment. A fiercly attractive woman like Sara complimenting your looks could do wonders for the ego. Maybe something small would be nice. But then again I've always been squeamish with needles and bad with pain. "I don't know. You know how I am with needles."

"Tattoo needles are different from hospital ones. Just come with me for my appointment and see what options they can whip up. If you don't like anything, then you don't have to get it and just be there to hold my hand."

"Fine, but I don't think I'll end up getting anything."

She picked up her phone smiling widely. "You say that now. I'll go make the appointment."

She headed to the backroom, dialing with a skip to her step.

Elbows propped next to the register I dropped my head into my hands. What did I just get myself into?

After cleaning up the counters I got a broom and got to sweeping. As I walked past one display I noticed the roses are starting to look droopy and wilted. They won't keep till tomorrow. Glancing around I made sure Sara is still in the back and no-one is looking through the windows.

Sure I'm alone I turn back to the flowers and begin to hum. It's an ancient tune I learned before I could even run properly passed down through the generations. A warm tingling rises into the  base of my feet working its way up my body. Putting out my hand I brush my fingers across the flowers. The stems straighten, spots dissolve, colors brighten. They look better, fresher than when they'd come into the shop. I smiled and continued on with the sweeping. My grandmother was a genius opening up a flower shop. It's the perfect trade for a family with our gifts.