9

My jaw still ached from where the boss had clocked me for being late. Red was fuming when I'd pulled into the club's parking lot. They were all about to leave without me I was so late. I worked my jaw as I pulled up on the long dark road leading past town. Shrimpy pulled up on his bike next to me and Bottle on the other. Even out here a few feet apart I could still smell the heavy smell of booze rolling off him.

Listening to the sounds of engines dulling on either side of us and lights going out behind the trees told me my brothers were in position. Now all we had to do was wait. Of course I had the displeasure of waiting with these two idiots as we played roadblock in return for my late arrival.

Holding back a sigh as Shrimpy took his helmet off I wished that he would keep his mouth shut.

"You know Kane, in all these years I don't think I've ever seen you be anything but early." He chuckled with his backwoods drawl. "Never expected you to give up being Red's favorite lapdog just to go chase some skirt. She must feel real good clenched around you to make you late."

His laughter cut off as I leapt off my bike and grabbed the scrawny gimp by the throat. Lifting the visor of my helmet as I brought his face to mine. "She's more than just some skirt. Talk about her like that again and I'll cut your balls off and make you eat them. Got it?"

He nodded franticly, clawing at my hand as he gasped for breath.

Pushing him away I let go he fell against his handle bars gasping and sputtering. Walking back to my bike I looked into the dark trees where I knew all the members were hiding and raised my voice. "That goes for everyone."

Got its and okays came through the darkness. With a grunt I stradled my bike once again, staring back down the long road. Watching for sight of a red truck. One our Las Vegas chapter has informed us on. The had been after them since Vegas chasing this group all the way to New Mexico, but they couldn't catch up. Guessing the idiots were heading right for us they called Red.

He handled it right away. Clicks has been tracking the truck from our network of illegally hacked surveillance and traffic cameras for the past day and a half. Confirming that they are heading for the boarder and going right past us to get there. He'd laughed at that saying he loved it when the prey made a trap so easy. So now we wait.

The stars meeting the end of the road for out in the distance caught my eye after a time. Their calm, glittering beauty calmed me. As I watched them Juniper's eyes drifted into my mind. They way they would twinkle when she laughed, or smiled at Junior when she thought him cute. Her twinkling eyes look like the stars.

"Here we go." Bottle's gravely gruff voice brought my eyes down to earth. There so far away, a little red truck has appeared.

I reached back under my shoe bags, pulling out the sawed off shot gun stored there as did Bottle and Shrimpy. The car slowly grew in size as it approached.

When was about twenty yards away the three of us flip our headlights back on. Shouldering the shotgun I pulled the trigger. A screech of metal shrieked through the night as the engine was hit. A warning shot.

They didn't stop. We guessed they wouldn't. The world lit up. Heat scorched past my sides as an sudden fire swelled. From both sides of the road fireballs flew, aimed perfectly at the truck exploding in the tires. Not a single leaf or blade of grass caught a flame.

Burning rubber singed my nose. A wet squelch filed the air as the inferno encasing the tires glowed brighter. A horrible metallic scream sounded as the truck began to slow. Skidding and slidding as it turned, nearly flipping over. It came to a hault not ten feet in front of me drivers side facing me. The scent of burning rubber was so strong I nearly chocked. My brother's had melted the tires off.