5

By time I pulled into the dirt parking lot of the fair Junior was bouncing in his seat ready to bust out of the car and run to the fair. He saw the ferris wheel and battering ram ride and couldn't wait to get on. Kane had followed alongside us on his motorcycle. Every time I would catch sight of him with the leather vest covered in patches and that lush brown hair pulled back in a bun my heart would skip a beat or a breath would catch in my throat.

I can't logically understand why I agreed to this. I've always gone for the nice guys. They're sweet and wear sweater vests. Have reliable jobs like dentists or accountants. In highscool they were in chess club or on the debate team. Safe, respectable guys that you could bring home to your parents and grandparents for Christmas.

Never have I been interested in guys with chest tatts, hair to their shoulders, wore leather so much they smelled like it, and definitely never a guy that rode a motorcycle. My head screams this guy is bad news.

But he does something to me where my heart, for once, isn't listening to reason. Kane's been nothing but a gentlemen every time I've seen him and I'm drawn to him. Curious if there's a gentle teddy bear under that rough biker exterior.

As Kane parks beside us Junior is already unbuckled and trying to jump out the car. I pull the keys out quickly, "Hold on Junior."

But he's not listening, to excited and pushing his door open. I lunge to the passenger seat hurriedly grabbing my purse and sunglasses to race after him.

"Woah little man, hold up." I hear Kane's laughter filled voice as I turn around. He interceptors Junior as he tries to run by, scooping him up as he tries to run to the entrance. "Can't leave your mom behind."

I freeze, halfway out the car as I hear his words. I hate having to always explain our situation to people.

Junior scrunches his nose, looking disgusted. "JuuJuu's not my mom."

Kane freezes as well resting Junior on his hip, "She's not?"

I get out of the car, shutting the doors as Junior shakes his head. "Juu's my sister."

Kane seems to relaxe, "Ohh." He sighs.

I lock the car, "Come on. Let's go find that funnel cake."

We walk to the ticket booth, Junior keeping us smiling and laughing as he chatters away, Kane still holding him between us. Kane buys our tickets without discussion buying plenty of ride tickets as well and we head in. The first stop we make is at the swing ride I get Junior strapped in and head back outside the little gate where Kane waits with the other parents.

As I lean against the fence the ride starts, spinning slowly and rising up. Kane leans against the fence next to me and I can't help noticing how he towers over me.

"Sorry about earlier. I had just assumed-" The rumble of his deep voice has me leaning closer.

"It's okay. That's what I'm trying to be now I guess. So if that's what we look like I must be doing something right."

The ride begins to spin a little faster as it stops rising, making the swings spin out to the side. We can hear the kids' laughter over the music.

"You are. He's a great kid."

I bump his shoulder with mine. The more time I spend with him the more comfortable I get. "Thanks."

We sit in silence for a few moments and I can tell he's curious, but doesn't know if he it's allowed to ask.

Since none of this is a secret I open up, "He's seven. Which means I would have been nineteen when I had him if he was mine by the way."

Kane cringes, "Sorry."