Chapter 4

1971

"Sit up straight," Amabel smacked Pandora's wrist with a ruler, "and stop clutching the teacup like you haven't drank in ages, hold it with dignity and grace—like this."

"Where's Governess Hilla?" Pandora groaned, "why're you conducting my lessons?"

"She's fallen quite ill," Amabel snapped, "now be quiet and do what you've been told."

Amabel's disdain for her sole daughter had only grown as they both aged.

As Amabel's skin became dull, wrinkled, and thin, Pandora's glowed with youth, a healthy blush flushing her round cheeks. Her platinum hair fell into thick, perfect ringlets to her waist, and her big, blue, doe eyes sparkled like sapphires, framed by charcoal lashes. She was beautiful, and Amabel hated it.

"Today you're being formally introduced to your betrothed, Regulus Black," Amabel said, "we will be having the Black family over for a luncheon."

"Mother, I've already met Regulus Black," Pandora said.

"That was not a proper introduction," Amabel said, "now, show me which fork you use for salad."

Pandora picked up a fork with a pointed look, "do you kid? Mother? I've known table manners since I was five."

"Just go get ready," Amabel sighed, shooing her daughter away.

"Yes, Mother," Pandora rolled her eyes, standing from the table and walking away.

"Do we'll do remember your respect! Pandora!" Amabel shrieked after her.

Pandora ignored her.

"Zinkie!" Pandora called once she had arrived back in her bedroom.

"Yes, Miss?" The house elf appeared a moment later.

"Will you help me pick an outfit to wear?" Pandora asked.

"Of course, Miss," Zinkie smiled.

"It'll have to be a dress," Pandora said, "Mother would kill me if I didn't wear a dress."

"Zinkie likes your yellow dress, Miss," Zinkie nodded.

"Yellow?" Pandora hummed, "ok, thank you, Zinkie."

"I will help Miss get dressed," Zinkie said.

"I'm nervous, Zinkie," Pandora frowned, "I've only met Regulus once two years ago and I ran away from him when he said we were to be married."

"An understandable reaction, Miss," Zinkie laced up the back of her dress.

"I'm afraid he won't see it that way," Pandora chewed on her bottom lip, "what if I've offended him?"

"Miss you were nothing but children," Zinkie soothed, "I'm sure all has been forgotten and forgiven."

"I hope you're right," Pandora sighed.

"You are still only a child," Zinkie frowned slightly, "as mature as you may be, enjoy your childhood."

"I will be going to Hogwarts in a year,"  Pandora said, "I didn't have a childhood."

Pandora saw Zinkie's frown deepen in the mirror.

"How would you like your hair? Miss?" Zinkie asked.

"It's alright, Zinkie, I'll do it myself," Pandora said, picking her hair brush up from her vanity, she sat down and began to comb it through her long hair.

"Are you sure Miss?" Zinkie asked.

"Quite," Pandora smiled, "thank you. Go get some rest."

She quickly laced her hair into a braid, tying it off with a yellow ribbon.