𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤

LEGOLAS

Legolas rushed towards the mess of metal Y/N lay in, throwing aside valuable swords and armour to reach her. He finally saw her at the bottom of it, her eyes closed and her h/c hair wet with blood that appeared to be coming from various parts of her body.

"Y/N ..." he knelt next to her, scooping her into his arms with one hand under her knees and the other around her back, squeezing her shoulder. "I am sorry."

He turned back to the rest of the Fellowship to find them crowding around the apparently-not-stabbed Frodo, who wore, in fact, a coat of mithril. However, with a guilty stab, Legolas found he was more concerned about Y/N.

Since Tauriel, he had not cared this way for anyone, let alone a human (who Aragorn considered a sister, and probably had some qualms about her being with an elf prince who was constantly getting shot at) and it frightened him. Though he tried to push aside his emotional turbulence in favour of worrying about the lifeless girl in his arms.

Aragorn rushed over to Legolas, stroking the h/c hair of the girl in his arms back to see the extent of her wounds. Though the Ranger himself was bleeding, he seemed far more concerned about his sister of heart.

That makes two, Legolas thought. He was not injured - it was not the way of elves - so at least he did not have to attempt to tend to himself with an unconscious body in his arms. He had only seen his own blood once, and he didn't care to again.

"Move it, elf," Boromir said grumpily, shoving past. "There are hundreds of Orcs on our tail, and we need to move."

"Excuse me?" Legolas spat. "Y/N saved your life, Gondorian. Do not speak of her that way."

"Legolas. Calm down. Boromir ... please stop. She saved your life, and it's about goddamn time you stopped being salty," Aragorn stepped in. When the heir to multiple thrones said something, people shut up and listened. Even Boromir.

"We still need to go," Boromir insisted, and everyone agreed. They ran from the room, Legolas going to great efforts to try and stop Y/N from feeling any discomfort.

The haunting screams of the Orcs and Goblin-men followed them, through the vastly cavernous hallways and out of passages that were so complexly arranged Moria was less a beautiful land and more a bewitching labyrinth.

"Where are we going?" one of the hobbits shouted.

"The exit, you knucklehead!" Gimli screamed back.

Finally, they burst out of an archway, and Boromir almost fell down the stairs leading from it, which had a gaping hole in the middle. Aragorn lunged forward, grabbing the other man so neither fell down.

Legolas jumped across - it was no great distance for an Elf, then he gently placed Y/N on the stairs behind him and held out his arms to catch people jumping across. Behind him, as reached for his bow, ducking as arrows flew at him, he heard a soft groan.

Y/N

Your head hurt like fuck. You sat up, putting a hand to it. When you pulled your fingers away, they were soaked in blood.

"Great," you moaned. "How did that even happen?"

"Y/N!" Aragorn stepped into your vision, pulling you up and steadying you when you wobbled. "How do you feel?"

"Like shit." you attempted to take a few steps forward, nudging away Aragorn's arm as he reached out for you. "I'm fine. I can walk."

As Legolas came up to you and Aragorn, smiling and concerned, whatever he had opened his mouth to say was drowned out by a screech - an awful scream that made you want to run away.

You turned back to Aragorn. "There's a fucking Balrog after us?!"

"We'll explain later!" Legolas cut in, taking your hand.

You turned red, looking down at your joined fingers, but you didn't have any more time to react as he pulled you with him and started to run. You wanted to protest (as usual) that you were fine, but you found yourself being glad for Legolas's support.

"Where are we going?" you yelled.

"Wherever Gandalf is going!" Legolas replied, his voice not raised but somehow easily carrying above any other noises with an enviable gravitas.

Flames burst into being around you, and the Balrog's screeches came closer and closer.

"This way!" Aragorn yelled, leading you all over a bridge that shivered uncertainly under your feet.

As you reached the other side, you looked back over your shoulder, gasping as you saw Gandalf alone on the bridge, and the towering Balrog across from him. There is no describing a Balrog - only the immense darkness and fire that it is made of.

There was a bright sphere of light around Gandalf, and as the Balrog tried to hit him, it failed.

"You shall not pass!" Gandalf yelled, though the Balrog paid him no heed. "You shall not pass!"

He brought his staff and sword down in a blaze of power, and the Balrog shrieked. It advanced towards Gandalf, but the bridge crumbled beneath it, sending it down into the depths of Moria.

You let out a sigh of relief, but halfway through it became a strangled cry as its fiery whip lashed upwards, pulling Gandalf off the bridge until he only hung on by the tips of his fingers.

"Gandalf!" you screamed, and you could also hear the hobbits and Aragorn echoing your cry.

Frodo went to go to him, but Boromir held him back, and you could respect him for doing that.

You could barely hear him insist "Fly, you fools!" before he fell from the ledge.

"No!" Frodo screamed, and you could feel tears coming to your eyes. Legolas (also looking shattered) pulled you towards the exit, and you finally made it out of Moria.

Collapsing onto the rocks with Legolas next to you, you cried for the loss of this wise old wizard who had helped you so, and you could feel the tangible sadness in the air.

You could faintly hear Aragorn and Boromir arguing as Legolas stroked your back, and you sat upright, calming yourself. In few moments of peace Gandalf's death had brought the company, Aragorn set about binding your injuries (because as helpful as Legolas often was, Aragorn had said, when it came to large amounts of wounds, he was not helpful.)

"Hey!" the elf protested playfully.

"You've seen your own blood once," Aragorn shot back, and you had to choke a laugh. And you knew that's what Gandalf would have wanted.

But as the quest demanded, you had no time to rest, and you set off again.

Now nine.

please continue to read, vote and comment !!