𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐝

You genuinely could not remember a single thing about the journey back from Mount Doom to Rivendell. You weren't sure if you'd walked or hitched a ride from a Giant Eagle ... a strong desire to forget the past year of your life made sure that you just remembered waking up in Rivendell, and crying.

A beautiful white dress had been left by the side of the outdoor bed you'd slept in all those months ago, and you almost started sobbing again to be dressed in something so beautiful without blood or dirt or need of scabbards.

You were stupidly emotional, but that was a definite reaction to being on the other side of a war.

Circlet on, dress smoothed, hair sufficiently de-tangled, you decided to go look for your friends, family and ... significant other.

The first person you found was Arwen, and you may or may not have screamed at the sight of her, giving her a tight hug. She informed you delightedly that she and Aragorn were engaged, but she hadn't seen him yet. You would also be returning to Minas Tirith for his coronation, but there were more important things on your mind.

"Where is everybody?" you asked, catching an autumn leaf mid-fall.

"By everybody, I presume you mean Legolas," Arwen teased.

You shrugged. "I mean, we are courting ..."

The elleth choked on air. "You're what?!"

Warmth rose in your cheeks. "Courting?"

"I'm so happy for you, Y/N," Arwen smiled.

"And I for you."

She directed you to a more secluded room, where she said Frodo would be just waking up, with Gandalf at his bedside. You found the door after a tedious sprint through a labyrinth of hallways, and ...

Your entire world narrowed down to him, standing in the sunlight's shadow streaming through a window. He was practically glowing.

"Shit!" you yelled. "I didn't know that sparkling was something Elves did! Was somebody gonna tell me, or what?"

"Y/N!" Legolas turned the second he heard your exuberant voice, running to embrace you, but someone else beat him to it.

"Oi, bros before hoes," Aragorn joked, elbowing him to the side and pulling you into a warm hug. "Hello, sister."

"Brother," you returned, already choking up again. "You did well. I am proud."

He withdrew with a smile, and you gasped.

"Valar, did greasy Aragorn actually wash his hair?!"

"Shut up, Y/N," he grumbled, though his hand did lift towards his head, and noticeably fluffier hair.

"Can I see my beloved now?" An annoyed voice came from behind your brother, and you stepped around him to throw yourself into Legolas's arms.

You held onto him as tightly as you could, one of his arms wrapped around your waist and the other behind your head, stroking your hair and whispering sweet nothings into your ear.

"Tell me it's over," you finally begged, pulling back. "Please, melleth nin."

"It's over," he promised. "I swear to you, Y/N, it's okay."

The strong urge to cry possessed you once again, so you just settled for bringing Legolas's head towards you, connecting your lips softly. There were so many possibilities now, and you could actually spend some time with him now, not having to worry about war and just worry about him.

"Have you forgotten about the rest of us, lass?"

"Gimli!" you cried, dodging around Legolas and crouching down to hug the Dwarf. "Oh, and the hobbits!"

Whilst you were sitting on the floor, you opened your arms up to them, letting Sam, Merry and Pippin rocket into your arms eagerly.

"Congratulations," you whispered to them. "You are all so brave."

Faint conversation brought your attention back to the door you all stood/sat in front of, and the hobbits screamed.

"Frodo! Frodo!"

Merry and Pippin sprinted for the door, shoving it open and disappearing into the room beyond, laughing and cheering. But you noticed that Samwise Gamgee lingered behind.

Perhaps you felt wise amongst the child-like hobbits, or maybe it was just remnants of confidence from The Black Gate, but something made you walk over to him, crouching with one knee on the ground. "You're worried that he doesn't want to see you, hey?"

Sam stiffened, then nodded slowly.

"Don't worry about that," you promised. "First things first: we just went through a War, and Frodo'll be super happy to know you're even alive. But, second, you saved his ass a bunch of times, I'm sure. Just go in there, okay?"

He nodded, smiling and making a break for the door. Aragorn ducked through the archway too, followed by Gimli.

Legolas offered you his hand, and you slapped his forearm jokingly, waltzing through the door yourself and waving cheerily at the bedridden hobbit.

A pair of arms snatched you around the waist and yanked you backwards, and you fell into Legolas's chest with a squeal, laughing loudly as he kissed your forehead.

Everything was already getting better.

- - -

Seeing Aragorn in a crown at Minas Tirith, King Aragorn ... he'd come so far. And you were extremely proud of your brother. He deserved for the world to see him like this - as he was.

You stood by Legolas as always, glad that he was somebody that you could lean and rely on. Aragorn made his way through the amassed crowd, to the two of you, representing Mirkwood and the Dunedain respectively.

He inclined his head, patting Legolas on the shoulder and giving you a warm smile. You smirked back at him, fully aware of a surprise you had planned for him.

You and Legolas moved to the side to reveal Elrond standing behind you, and carrying a flag behind him ...

"Arwen," he breathed, the word like a song. She rushed for him without requiring further prompting, throwing her arms around his neck and kissing him fiercely.

You looked up at Legolas, letting him press his lips to your temple as you leaned further into his side.

This was your perfect ending.

Everyone was happy and safe, loving and being loved.

It may have been the end of the road, but this wasn't the end of the journey.

There's always another way to go.

thank you very much for reading this story !!
please check out my other works on both accounts !!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐒 | 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐟 🎉