𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

"Aragorn!" you screamed, precariously close to letting tears fall. "Aragorn!"

You heard a low laugh, and immediately turned towards it, seeing an Orc being pinned down by Legolas.

"He took a little f-fall off that cliff," the Orc croaked through the blood in his mouth. "You won't be seeing him any t-time soon."

"You lie, úan," Legolas growled, pushing his knife to the Orc's throat. Monster.

"Legolas!" you cried, gently pushing him back. "He could still be of some use - information, maybe?"

"I don't think so," the ellon glared. "He is dying, rapidly."

You slipped your hand subtly into his, fixing the Orc with a cold glare. "Then we'll leave him be. At least that way he can die in pain."

Legolas froze as you walked away, and, for the first time, he was truly scared of you - the best of the Dunedain, with the blood of the best of Mirkwood - and he saw that you weren't just kind and sweet.

You could be absolutely vicious, and this new, unfamiliar side of you, did frighten your boyfriend a little.

The Orc saw this, apparently, and he began to laugh. Legolas was glad when the awful noise was cut short by his windpipe collapsing, though Y/N's words still chilled him.

In the distance, Theoden was talking about the wounded, but you tuned it out, a cold sorrow flushing down your body like a bucket of ice water dumped over your head. The thought of Aragorn being gone forever, his corpse drifting lifelessly in the river below the cliff made you want to cry, to scream, to run forever until you reached the end of the known world, so far that your brother's eyes would never haunt you again.

"It's my fault," you whispered. "My fault."

"No, it's not." Legolas had apparently come back to your side. "It was probably that Orc, maybe, but he's dead now. Besides, it doesn't matter which Orc or Warg it was - just remember that it wasn't you."

You stared down at the river, knowing that there was no way he had survived a fall that high, but you still wanted to hold out hope so desperately that it was almost stupid.

He's gone, Y/N, you tried to tell yourself. Get on with it, and help the citizens of Rohan.

- - -

Finally, Helm's Deep was in your sight, and people began to sob with relief.

You had to admit - you were slightly underwhelmed. It was small, and possible to defend, but it seemed old and weathered.

Not the most safe place at all, but it would have to do.

The refugees ran for it gladly, and you saw many happy reunions that made you happy, but also jealous. You would get none of that with Aragorn.

The King led you forth, through narrow, winding cobblestone streets.

At least that's a bonus, you thought to yourself. Kinda hard for massive Orcs to swarm through here.

"My King!" Eowyn rushed forward, with the majority of the refugees that had followed her when the Orcs and Wargs had attacked (for some had not been fast enough, and had instead remained with Theoden and you), straight towards Theoden.

She paled when she saw how many guards had been taken down. "There are so few of you - less soldiers, meaning le-"

"Eowyn," Theoden interrupted firmly, though not too fiercely. "See to it that everyone is safe, and fed."

She nodded, then she looked past the King's Guard to see you, Legolas and Gimli, looking as though you'd all been thrown off a mountain, grabbed by giant eagles on the way down, and torn to shreds. Well, you and Gimli, anyway.

"In the name of the Rohirrim!" she gasped, rushing towards you and looking you up and down. "Are you alright?"

"We're-" your voice cracked unexpectedly, and you cleared your throat. "We're fine."

"Where's ..." Eowyn looked around you, seeing only Gimli behind you, Legolas, and your joined hands. "Where's Lord Aragorn?"

You looked away, unable to respond. Eowyn continued to still hope.

Good. Maybe this war won't take everything from me.

"P-Please tell me he took a l-long way here," she begged. "Please tell me he's alright."

"He fell," you responded curtly, walking away before you could break down. Legolas hurried after you, his footsteps as quiet as ever on the cobblestones, but still not silent.

"Y/N, wait!"

"I'm going to check the armoury," you responded. "Make the best of what we have."

"Y/N!" His hand flew towards you, catching your arm and spinning you towards him so you wobbled unsteadily, holding his shoulders to not fall over. One of his arms took you by the waist, the other tilting your chin up so you would look into his eyes. "Please don't lock me out. I, too, loved Aragorn as a brother. Please don't push me away - I know we can get through this."

"How?" you hated how your voice trembled on the word. "They-They've taken so much from us."

"We have to trust that we will win this fight," Legolas explained gently. "We're going to take something back."

His lips brushed against yours in a soft touch that left you desperate for more, before he gave a cheeky grin and chuckle, his eyes still half closed as he jogged down the street.

"Come on! To the armoury we go!"

You brushed your fingers over your lips with a growing smile, and ran after him.

- - -

"We're screwed," you said, throwing away a spear as it snapped in half in your hand. "This place has gone to shit."

"The swords are alright?" Legolas replied, though it was more a question than a statement. "I mean, we're not completely without hope."

"You got that one right, laddie!"

You and Legolas both whipped your heads around, long hair flying around your faces to see Gimli standing in the doorway.

"What is it, son of Gloin?" you asked, too tired to be casual.

Gimli's words shattered your world.

"Aragorn. He's back."

please continue to read, vote and comment !!