𝐬𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐞

You'd been absolutely stupid to think that the battle had been going well. You laughed as you slashed through Orc after Orc, yelling angrily when one of your boyfriend's arrows sprouted in the chest of one you'd been about to kill, and generally caused all around chaos.

However, it all got jinxed, and went rather rapidly downhill.

"The walls are the only things keeping that army out," you muttered under your breath, stabbing something unfriendly and wrenching your sword down through its guts. "We're done for if they get past."

Seeing as you were talking to yourself, you got no response other than a screaming Orc throwing itself at you. You didn't even look as you slashed in the vague direction of its crotch, sighing annoyedly.

A burning urge to look to your side overcame you, and when you did, you really wished that you hadn't.

One of the larger Uruk-hai held a burning torch whilst its brethren set up a pair of bombs. You narrowed your eyes as you took in all the bits of information, meaning that their siege on the wall would be ...

"Successful," you breathed. "Oh shit."

Aragorn had evidently noticed too, because you heard his voice roar, "Togo hon dad, Legolas!" Bring him down, Legolas!

"I'm very capable of doing that myself," you rolled your eyes, thought it was a mere jest, calculating a path down to stop the Orc.

An arrow whistled into the shoulder of the torch-bearer, but it kept running, a primitive, animalistic snarl building up in the back of its throat.

"Dago hon - Legolas, Y/N!" your brother roared. Kill him - Legolas, Y/N!

That was all the instruction you needed. You vaulted over the side of the wall, flying towards the ground and landing with a shock that jarred your entire body. But there was no time for pain. No time at all. You had to save ... them. The innocents. Your family of Aragorn and Gimli. Legolas, your love.

You sprinted for the Uruk-hai, unchallenged due to the silent shock of its comrades, twisted its neck with a loud snap and let it fall to the floor. Another one of Legolas's arrows hit it, impaling the corpse with a twitch.

Blood pulled around the Orc, and it didn't move.

You had dared to breathe a sigh of relief. Mistake. It was too late.

The flaming torch that it had dropped had still set off the bombs, and they exploded with a sound louder than you'd ever heard before.

"Y/N!" A scream of pure agony and despair - Legolas.

Suddenly, you couldn't hear. A high-pitched whine filled your ears, and your head throbbed painfully as you fell backwards, hitting the ground. Blood stuck in your hair and covered your eyes, until you couldn't see either.

Something grabbed your arms tightly, and pulled you to the side. You wanted to hope it was an ally, perhaps a Lothlorien Elf, but the hands were almost scaly, and the grip painful.

An Orc.

What did an Orc want with you?

Oh, you realised. Oh. I'm a Queen.

Yes, dumbass, another internal voice replied. You're a Queen. What a fucking genius.

You tried to fight back, tried to scream or cry or do anything at all, but you couldn't move. Pain ripped through your body, and you felt like you were being stabbed by a sword straight from the forge flames when you so much as breathed.

In that moment, you wondered if you were going to die. If this was all your life would amount to. Burning short and bright, but ultimately snuffed out, like a tiny fire on a candle blown out with ridiculous ease.

But you couldn't die. You hadn't before, and you wouldn't now. You had to live. You had to survive - for them.

For Aragorn, who'd been by your side since you were a kid.

For Boromir, the honourable warrior who'd chosen right and given his life for the Quest.

For Gimli, the Dwarf who could always make you laugh.

For Gandalf, mysterious, powerful, and yet kind and humorous, looking after the Fellowship as though you were his children.

For Frodo, and Sam, and Merry and Pippin, who were perhaps the bravest of you all, venturing out into the unknown simply because they had each other.

And for Legolas. There was so much more that you could do with him. Everything that would come later, if you could hold it together.

No.

You wouldn't die. It didn't matter how they would flay you, torture you, trick you or bribe you.

Your heart belonged to Legolas. Your strength to the quest. Your love to the Fellowship, a new family.

And you were Queen. You needed to protect your people. Even if that meant that you would die trying.

Sacrifice. What a noble idea.

LEGOLAS

Legolas scrambled through the dead bodies, the sickly morning light doing no favours for the bloody carcasses.

He didn't care how many Orcs he'd slain, or that he'd lost a competition to Gimli. Y/N was missing. She'd been thrown backwards in the explosion and now ...

"She's not there." His voice shouldn't've cracked, but it did anyway. The only sign of her was her pair of swords, slick with blood.

Legolas cleaned them off and sheathed them besides his own - he'd give them back to her.

If he ever saw her again, a miserable, hopeless voice inside him whispered. If she wasn't dead already.

The Elf prince made a fist so tight he could practically feel his blood circulation cutting off. He'd made a promise to Y/N, that he'd always be there for her.

He couldn't abandon her - not the love of his life. The fierce warrior, the beautiful young woman, the hilarious sister to his best friend, the sarcastic life-force of the Fellowship, and the very essence of soul that held him together.

"I will find you, Y/N," he vowed, though he knew she couldn't hear him with all the Elven abilities in the world. "We will see each other again."

please continue to read, vote and comment !!