𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲

You walked through a forest, except ... everything was wrong. The bark of the trees was green, the leaves brown, and the trees themselves were rooted upside-down in the clouds. Your feet rested upon blue grass.

The shadows enlarged with every step you took, and soon you could hear the quiet growls of animals about to roar surrounding you.

It was ... scary.

You flew upwards until you were sitting, gasping loudly. The strange, terrifying forest had been no more than a hallucination caused in the throes of restless sleep.

Looking to your side, you saw that you were in a small room, with no more than a short, comfortable bed and a side-table. On the table were several bundles of athelas, other herbs didn't recognise (you'd always been more of a fighter than a healer) and a delicious-smelling loaf of lembas bread.

You wriggled into a more comfortable position so you were supported by the pillows, reaching for the lembas and tearing into it ravenously. However long you'd been out for had made you absolutely starving, and you almost devoured all of the healing bread.

"Y/N!" said a voice from the doorway, and faster than you could blink, you found yourself wrapped in a warm embrace.

You returned it gladly when you saw the long blond hair resting on your shoulder, although you had to wince. The amount of healing they'd done on you was obviously incredible, since you weren't in constant pain, but there were still many tender spots.

"A, Legolas," you smiled as he sat backwards onto his heels, crossing his legs on your bed. Hi, Legolas. "How long was I out for?"

Legolas winced. "Three days. There was a big party, and I may or may not have gotten a little drunk-"

"-what?!" you interrupted gleefully, laughing. "You got drunk?"

"-but don't worry, you really didn't miss much."

You rubbed the back of your head awkwardly, feeling criss-crossing bandages instead of your hair. "Oh /.. I didn't think that I would be unconscious for that long. Sorry."

"What are you apologising for?" Legolas stole the lembas from you with a smirk, eating it far more delicately than you had. "You're the one who held out for days when you were being tortured so badly that our healers think you might have permanent scars, a-"

His mouth snapped shut, and bright red blush spread across his cheeks. "I wasn't meant to mention that."

You lifted up the edge of the large, loose brown shirt someone had outfitted you in, staring silently when you saw the bandages wrapped all around your torso, red seeping through the thick white.

"I'll have to get used to it, I guess," you shrugged, trying to pass off the sick feeling in your gut. "It's fine."

Legolas shook his head brushing his fingers over your temple. "There's only one scar on your face - not that they matter. You're beautiful, no matter what."

You smiled, though you couldn't do much more than that. You wanted so badly to move forwards and hug him, tell him that because you were together, everything would be alright, say just how much you loved him, Legolas Greenleaf, but your body wouldn't move, for a reason you suspected wasn't medical.

No.

It was fear. Fear of the scars, change, things never being the same.

Legolas must've picked up on this, because he leaned forwards, the bed dipping and tipping you towards him as well, his hand moving up to cup your cheek with the utmost gentleness. "Y/N. Are you okay?"

"Okay is a social construct," you muttered, not sure why you were joking, though the humour definitely made some of the fear and tension go away. "I'll heal, and get better."

"That's not what I'm asking," Legolas prodded. "Are you okay?"

You wanted so badly to lie. You didn't want him worrying on your account, not when it could distract him, and get both of you killed in future battles.

But you couldn't hold in any of the fear, rage and hopelessness that had been living inside you ever since you awoke in a dungeon in Isengard.

You threw yourself into Legolas's arms, sobbing uncontrollably as awful, traumatic memories flashed before your closed eyes over and over.

"I'm not okay!" your sobs mangled the words into a scream, a cry, as Legolas's arms clutched you closer. "I just- I can't live thinking everything's okay, and it'll go back to normal. I'm so scared of it happening again."

Legolas raised his hand to your face, probably to wipe your tears, but all you could see were the endless slaps and punches, and you flinched away from it. Hurt flashed in his eyes.

"See?!" you cried. "I'm sorry for being weak! I'm sorry for not being okay! I don't know if I can do this anymore!"

So many emotions swept through Legolas's face so rapidly even your incredible Elven eyes couldn't note all of them. But he drew back, swinging his legs off the bed and sliding onto the floor with his hands raised.

"I won't hurt you, Y/N," he reassured. "Remember - it's me, Legolas. Ni melleth le."

You shook, wrapping your arms around your legs and pulling them up to your chest.

"Listen to me, Y/N." his voice demanded attention in such a way that you couldn't not do as he said. "You are going to be okay. I will be by your side for anything that comes our way, and I will never leave you alone. You're not weak - you're strong. You will be okay, because I am here. I believe in you."

In only 47 words, he had somehow fixed everything. The world flew back into place, like a broken bone being reset.

How could one person be so incredible?

You opened up your arms with a teary smile, and it was evidently all the invitation that Legolas needed to fling himself at you, hugging you like the world was about to end.

Pulling backwards slightly, you did something you hadn't been able to do for a long time.

You kissed him, properly, savouring the warmth and sweetness of his lips, and wishing that the mere seconds making up time could last for eternity.

Because, maybe, if you stayed like this, everything could be okay.

please continue to read, vote and comment !!