𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

You tore through the delicate, familiar seal of the Dunedain court, fingers trembling as the paper unfolded itself. It was in an unfamiliar script - neat and printed rather than the running loops so often featured in your father's handwriting.

To Our Dearest Lady Y/N,

The Dunedain Court regrets to inform you that King Derngrim and Lord Balmere perished in a sudden attack of Orcs, at the hands of a Ringwraith.

You turned your head away, one hand covering your mouth as a sob choked you. Tears rolled down your face, falling like leaves of Autumn to the earth.

"Y/N?" Legolas asked, concerned. "What does it say?"

You looked back to the letter.

As the Laws of our Lands dictate, you are now, being of age, the Queen of the Dunedain. We request that you return to us at your earliest convenience - the Regency is not stable and fear corrupts our lands.

Na lû e-govaned vîn. (Until next we meet)

Your Lord Fylnere

This time, when Legolas said your name again, emotion overwhelmed you and you threw yourself into his arms. He caught you, shocked, and began to gently stroke your back as you shook with sobs, trying not to get his fingers caught in your hair.

"What happened?" he asked softly. You explained the situation to him, though your voice weakened throughout the telling, and soon it was only a whisper.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry," he said, letting go of you, and bowing. "My Queen. You're superior to me now."

"Don't do that," you grabbed his hands and pulled him up. "I do not want this. And I cannot leave the Fellowship, nor can I stand by as my people are massacred and without proper leadership."

"Y/N!"

You turned your head from Legolas, seeing Aragorn standing by Celeborn, the Ranger clutching a letter that looked similar to yours.

Without any words spoken, he rushed toward you, wrapping his arms around your shoulders securely. You buried your face in his cloak, the tears you'd just suppressed emerging again.

"I am so sorry, gwathel nin," he whispered. My sworn sister.

He too went to bow, but you stopped him. "Please, gwador nin, do not. You are Isildur's heir, I an unwilling queen." My sworn brother.

"Will you return to our people?" Aragorn asked.

You considered this for a moment, and you could feel your heart wrenching in two. Finally, you squeezed your eyes shut to compose yourself, and when you opened them again, your decision had been made. "I will stay with the Fellowship."

You heard an almost inaudible exhale coming from Legolas's general direction. Legolas ... the interrupted moment you had shared was all you could think about now.

Celeborn, who had been waiting a few steps back, now came forward. "You rule a good people, my Queen, and Lothlorien respects your decision. I, along with Haldir and a force of Elves, will go to protect your lands."

"I- I do not know how to thank you, my Lord," you stammered, curtsying as low as you could. "Our Fellowship still stands in your debt."

The Lord of Lothlorien considered you for a minute. "You owe us no debt - for I have seen your heart, and it is a good one. The Dunedain are a lucky land to be ruled by you."

You looked to your feet. "Thank you."

Celeborn whirled away, leaving you with your two favourite men in Middle-Earth.

You sunk onto a stone bench, and suddenly your father's face swam into your mind, smiling widely.

Where am I when I'm not with you?

Your own voice answered him - a memory. Right here, Ada (daddy).

You placed your trembling hand on your heart, finishing the memory, and, with the realisation he would never say that to you again, curled in on yourself to cry again.

"Oh, Y/N ..." you felt Aragorn and Legolas sit beside, each wrapping an arm around you: Aragorn your shoulder, Legolas your waist.

"I'm right here for you."

You knew it was the blond elf who said that, and you rested your head on his shoulder as you struggled not to give into the tears, letting the strokes of his hand along your back calm you.

- - -

"As you go on your way," the Lady Galadriel told the amassed Fellowship as they prepared to leave Lothlorien. "The Elves present you with gifts to speed your journey."

"My Lady, we cannot thank you enough," you curtsied low to the ground. "You are a most gracious host."

She directed her soft smile at you. "For you, Queen Y/N of the Dunedain, we gift you a pair of Elvish swords, forged in Gondolin by the ancestors of Elrond Half-Elven."

"Thank you, Lady Galadriel."

She continued, presenting Legolas with a new bow (that you knew he had needed), the Hobbits some weapons and other Elvish instruments, Gimli three of her hairs, Aragorn a sword sheath, Boromir a belt of gold, and all of you cloaks woven with the Lothlorien enchantments, hiding you from unwilling eyes.

Legolas fastened yours after you had done his, his fingers awkwardly brushing the sides of your neck as you blushed and steadfastly looked at the ground.

"Y/N, you know we must talk about what happened back there," Legolas whispered, clear worry in his eyes. "But I respect your space as always, and I will wait for you. I'm so sorry about ... all of this."

You smiled at him as his hand brushed your cheek as he drew back, your cloak fastened. "Thank you, Legolas. For standing by me, and for ... everything, I suppose."

He smiled, his fair face brightening with a shimmer in his eyes. "Y/N, I'll always stand by you. I promise. No matter where our ... relationship is at, I promise I will."

To you, those were pretty good words to leave Lothlorien on.

please continue to read, vote and comment !!