Experiments

~~ Chapter eight: Experiments ~~~ 

P.O.V. Gray Fullbuster

I led Levy and Wendy to the infirmary after the argument if we should knock Natsu out or not. We finally decided that he should choose if he stayed awake during the operation, though we would still carry it out if he wanted it or not.  

"We can only try one thing a day," Wendy reminded us. "If we do-" she broke of in mid sentence, furrowing her eyebrows. "Did you guys hear that?" She asked. 

Levy shook her head. "No, what-" 

"Shhhhh!" I silenced her, putting my hand over her mouth. I thought I heard it. There it was again.  

It sounded like a pain filled growl.  

"Are you sure Natsu's okay?" Asked Wendy.  

I frowned. "He was when I left... He did say the 'Markings' were going to start spreading soon, but I don't know what that means."  

Soon the growl grew into a yell. "Crap!" I said. "Natsu!" Levy, Wendy and I took off to Natsu's broom. As we neared the infirmary I noticed a faint glow coming from beneath the door. 

"What the hell?" I muttered. I yanked open the door and nearly fainted from the heat and light.  

Wendy, Levy, and I stood at the entrance to the room, unable to get any closer than we already were. The hellish heat and light lasted for about five minutes, and all I could hear was Natsu yelling in pain. Finally, it faded into a dull glow, and I lowered my hands from my face. As soon as most of the heat was gone, we ran to his bed. Natsu was laying in a pool of sweat, shivering, his face scrunched up.  

"Natsu, what happened?" I exclaimed.  

His voice was very soft, and I could barely make out what he was saying. "The markings... They're on my back." A massive shudder went through his body. "It's spreading. You guys... You guys should let me die..."  

Then he fainted. "Eh? What the heck is he talking about?" I asked.  

"He said something about his back." Wendy told us.  

Levy took command. "Gray, flip Natsu over, please." 

I followed her orders, unclasping the cuffs holding Natsu down, and I flipped him over. "Now remove the bandages," continued Levy.  

Carefully, I unraveled the bandages shielding his back from view. As they came off, we all gasped at what we saw. Indeed, there were 'markings' on his back.  

"It looks like some sort of curse..." Murmured Levy.  

As we watched, the cure marks started to glow a reddish color, and..... and...... it GREW. It was spreading, and didn't stop until it completely filled his back with markings. Now there were red marks as well as black ones. The glow faded until it was gone.  

"What...?" Said Wendy, unable to complete her sentence.  

"Poor Natsu... " murmured Levy.  

"Well at least now he won't cause a problem while you two are experimenting." I said.  

"Gray!" They both exclaimed. 

I shrugged. "Hey, maybe he didn't have it his way, but it's true."  

"Okay, lets start the experiment number one." Declared Wendy. "Gray, we're gonna need you here!" 

"Me?" I asked, suprised.  

"Well, you are an ice mage, right? And we need ice."  

"Yosh! Let's get started then!" 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

P.O.V. Lucy Heartfilia

I ran into the guild after hearing the news. I was still in my pajamas, not even bothering to change, I had to get here as quick as possible.They were experimenting on Natsu! How could they do that?! If they didn't know what magic it was, how the heck would they even have the slightest idea about what they were doing? 

I walked over to the corridor leading to the infirmary, but Mira stopped me.  

"Lucy, I'm sorry, but you can't go in there."  

"Why not?" I snapped. 

"Wendy, Levy, and Gray are in there trying to find a cure for the curse mark." Mira responded.  

It wasn't fair! "Oh, so Gray can go in there but I can't?" I hissed. "That's not fair!" 

Mira blinked. "Lucy, what's wrong? This isn't like you." She narrowed her eyes. "Are you sick?" 

"No!" Of course I'm not sick!" I crossed my arms. "Anyways, why is it that Gray is in there, and why can't I go in? I'm his teammate!" I whined.  

Mira's eyebrows shot up. "Ohhhhhhh! Ohhhhh!" She gave an excited squeal, pointing at me.  

"What?" I said.  

"Natsu.... You liiiiiike him!" 

My cheeks burned. "W-what?" I stuttered. "N-no I don't!" I denied. I crossed my arms and looked away, avoiding making eye contact with her. Mentally, I slapped myself. I was a horrible liar! If this conversation got any deeper, I was screwed.  

Mira winked at me. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."  

"Huh." I said.  

Mira got serious again. "But you still can't go in until the experimentation is done. You should go and talk to Happy until they finish." She held up a finger. "After all, Happy is your teammate too, and he seems to need some cheering up!"  

I looked at the corner where Happy was lurking. He was sitting there, curled in a ball, his fur fluffed up. Yeah, he looked depressed. Well, I was too, but I didn't show it in front of everyone. Sighing, I walked over to him.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

To be continued