Winter, Light, Summer, and Darkness

Wow, just looking back at this story, I can't help but think about how far its gone. It's been nearly a year, and it's now finally drawing to a close. I find myself feeling both saddened and relieved, believe or not. I know this isn't anywhere near the best fanfiction you'll find out there, but to me it's like finishing a good book; I'm just just finding it difficult to get used to the actually coming to an end after such a long time. On the other hand, I'm relieved because I'm finally going to be able to work on my other stories without having to constantly worry over this one. *sweatdrop*

The next chapter, everyone, is the last. I need to thank everyone out there that has stayed with me to this point tons. Virtual cookies for all of you! Let's see, there's chocolate chip (yum), sugar, snickerdoodle (just for youdle), butterscotch, cinnamon... wow. Must have cost a lot of virtual money. And caused a virtual mess in the kitchen. Okay, enough virtuals. Sorry, I'm just tired. 

Ooookay, so here we go! 

Happy day after Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S.!
___________________________

Previously...

"Natsu Dragneel!" she called, meeting the Dragonslayer's gaze evenly. "I know the old you is still there, somewhere. Fight it!"

Natsu looked at her quizzically. "The old me?"

Taking a breath, she smiled, somewhat startling Natsu. "Yeah, Natsu. The old you. who would protect his friends at moments' notice, who would always come barging into my apartment every morning. The one who always met me with a giant smile, no matter what was happening. Who could make anyone feel better, forget their worries, their burdens, just after spending five minutes with him. The one who cared for everyone, and who met those that caused danger to his loved ones fearlessly, and a lot of the time changed their ways. 

"But most importantly, the one whom I grew to love." She extended a hand. "Tell me, Natsu, will you leave that man who is threatening and hurting your comrades as we speak, and return to us? Return to me?"

Natsu seemed taken aback. A torrent of emotions passed throughout his face- confusion, pain, doubt, and more confusion. 

He grabbed at his head and let out a shout of pain. "Dammit, I try to remember, but it hurts!" He looked through watery eyes at Lucy and Gray. "I try remembering you and it's agony! All I know is Zeref, and we grew up together, and-" he pointed at them. "What the hell do you take me for?! I don't know you people! All I know is that you hurt Zeref, and I'm gonna make you pay! He said you hurt him!" Natsu growled, a grimace still on his face. "You...Fairy Tail," he spat the words, "Hurt my brother! The only one in the world I have! There's no way I would know someone of the likes of you." 

His words struck a deep cord in Lucy, causing her to flinch. The way he looked at them, it was filled with loathing. She felt another part of her break. Her whip snapped in accordance with her feelings, and she closed her eyes for a moment. She never wanted to come to this moment. Fate was surely cackling at the display. 

Opening her eyes, she met Natsu's glare. "Forgive me, Natsu." She launched herself forward, her spirits matching her pace. 

She didn't plan to come from this battle alive. 

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

  ~~Chapter Eighteen: Winter, Light, Summer, and Darkness~~

Lucy took in another deep breath, and wiped some sweat off her brow. Seven gates open at once- it was taking quite a toll on her. The hold around the whip in her hand tightened. She would not give in now. Not after working so hard.

She watched in slight awe at the dazzling battle between her summons and Natsu playing out in front of her. She would join in a moment, but for now, all she could do was stare at the intense sight.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Leo sent another glowing fist at the salmon haired dragonslayer, the other's blazing hand intercepting his own attack and forcing him to step away. Damn was he strong.

"Sagittarius!" He yelled, glancing over his shoulder to see the horse-man notching an arrow onto his bow.

"I've got it!" he cried, drawing back the string and releasing it with a ping. The arrow soared through the air, and Natsu, focused on Pisces, barely noticed it in time to move. The arrow did miss its intended destination, and instead of the high shoulder the arrow dug deep into the mage's bicep.

The dragonslayer grimaced before taking a hand and ripping the arrow free from the muscle, letting out a slight snarl as he did so. Flames spewed out of Natsu's mouth as he turned on Sagittarius.

"Fire Dragon's Roar!" A concentrated hose of fire shot at the spirit.

"Sagittarius!" Leo roared. "Move!"

Unfortunately for the horse-man, a Dark Being happened to be thrown into the area, and It grabbed hold of the archer's legs, rendering him unable to move. The horse-man watched the blazing fire grow closer with wide eyes.

"Mooooooove!" Taurus slammed into Sagittarius, throwing him clear of the area. "Sagittarius will be of more use than me to protect Luuuucy's nice body!"

"Taurus!" Lucy cried, as the jet of flame hit the bull-man. Taurus disappeared in a burst of light.

"Damn it!" Leo cursed. He didn't have the chance to do anything.

Natsu landed lightly, casting a ferocious glare over all of them. "You idiots." he hissed. "This is what happens when you try to oppose us! You're all going to die!"

Leo growled. "Natsu, I know you're not yourself right now, but that's not keeping me from getting pissed! I'm gonna beat some sense into you!" His fist lit up, surrounded by a shinging golden.

Natsu looked somewhat unhappy with Leo's decision, but he still shrugged. "Your choice."

Leo charged.