Chapter 22

Mme Pomfrey was waiting for Sirius and Remus to bring Harry, even though Draco had thrown a massive fit when he found out what the plan was. For safety Harry was being carried already wearing the sleeping mask so that he wouldn't walk off under the imperius curse before they were ready. They came through the fireplace in the Headmaster's office at 9:00.

Harry himself had consented to the plan, and had been the one trying to calm Draco down, although in the end Draco only stopped because Harry started crying, scared by how scary he was when he was yelling, some accidental magic crackling around him too.

That morning the family of three woke up a little early and had a nice breakfast before preparing for the Basalisk hunt. Before they left, Harry put the sleeping mask on while sitting on the sofa. Remus was the one to carry Harry, and Sirius was the one to deal with the flu powder, so Remus could focus on Harry.

"Is everyone ready?" Natasha asked, everyone gathered outside her office, everyone except Mme Pomfrey who was staying in her office with Harry, making sure he didn't end up walking off.

There were a lot of wizards, all having dealt with dark wizards before, some having dealt with creatures, and about half being aurors. Everyone was wearing something to cover their eyes so that when they met the Basalisk none would be killed by its eyes, better petrified than dead, at least there's a cure to petrification. While everyone had their wands, some people had other weapons to use too, not that Natasha was sure how useful they would be if they weren't Goblin made.

"Potter will lead us to the lair of the Basalisk, opening the way for us, then he will be taken back to safety and we will fight it. I hope I don't have to remind you how old this Basalisk probably is, meaning it will be very large and may be difficult to keep track of its eyes. Don't let your guard down at any point, and even if the head is cut off do not approach it, even dead it can kill you." Natasha warned, putting on her own eye protection, heading back up to her office to fetch Harry and Mme Pomfrey.

The moment the sleeping mask was removed, Harry's eyes snapped open, their green dulled making the others feel almost sick from their emptiness. Harry's eyes were only looking straight ahead, and was being brought there by the Basalisk, or whoever its master was, but that meant that he probably didn't mean that he needed more eye protection than his glasses. He was already up and at the door before Natasha and Mme Pomfrey had finished getting over their chills.

Harry wasn't walking quickly, but somehow everyone seemed to have issues keeping up with him. It was almost like he was using some kind of magic to change the space he was in, as though it was stretched after he had left that space, and compressed when he was there. This was very concerning, as Mme Pomfrey was a large portion of the security net they had in place for Harry's safety, but she couldn't keep up.

As long as someone could catch up to them, they should be alright, though, as Harry still had the sleeping mask on, it just wasn't covering his eyes, meaning its curse didn't currently affect him. All they would need to stop him would be to push it over his eyes and then catch him for them to then come up with another plan.

Harry was getting gradually further and further away from them, and Remus was just running forwards to put the sleeping mask over his eyes, when Harry turned a corner...

... And disappeared.

-----

"What the HELL was that!? You said that you could protect Harry, you said your inheritance would protect him. You ASSURED us he would be fine!" Remus yelled at Mme Pomfrey, Sirius was having to hold him back to stop him actually attacking the older woman.

"Last time I saw him being controlled by the Basalisk he moved normally, he was about the speed of a student who wanted to sneak out without me noticing." Mme Pomfrey said, surprisingly calm given the situation, and that Sirius was struggling hard to hold him back, often resulting in the two of them lurching forwards.

"Oh, that's just GREAT! What even is your inheritance!? How could you even be sure it would work when harry is still asleep and being completely controlled by the Basalisk!?" Remus demanded, elbowing Sirius in the nose.

"Calm down." Mme Pomfrey instructed, her eyes turning completely pink as she said it, Remus the only one to pick up on a small pink glow that seemed to emit from her eyes too.

Remus immediately stopped trying to get away from Sirius to attack Mme Pomfrey, his eyes loosing focus for a moment. Sirius didn't let go of him though, even though his nose was bleeding rather heavily. Remus was clearly still extremely angry with her, the glare he was giving her making it obvious, but he wasn't trying to punch her.

"Boody? You alright?" Sirius asked, his nose blocked by the blood.

"You wanted to know what my inheritance is? I'm a siren. I can make people do small, simple things, or stop them from doing things, very useful in my line of work, no?" Mme Pomfrey said coldly, flicking her wand to fix Sirius' nose.

"That's all well and good, Poppy, but that doesn't mean Remus is wrong. You were the one who promised Harry would be safe, and he's not. If it wasn't for what you had said he wouldn't have been brought here, and he wouldn't have been in more danger. We don't know what's happening to him right now." Minerva pointed out. It was true that everyone, including Harry, had agreed to this, but they had been promised more safety than they had.

-----

"I have the Sssssspeaker, Masssssssster."

"Good, go clean the casssssstle. Releasssssse them when they get here."