Chapter 44

"Being a little bit Ravenclaw isn't a bad thing, I think it's quite interesting." Rose said, setting Harry and Draco's drinks down, having entered as Ven was apologising for Melissa's rambling.

"We didn't need to learn about all that." Draco said, picking the glass with butterbeer up and chugging about half the glass.

'Thank you.' Harry signed, taking his own glass of apple juice, it was cloudy and tasted slightly sour, but was delicious.

"Maybe you didn't need to, but I bet you learned it better from Mel than Professor Bins." Rose said with a chuckle.

"Harry pays attention in History of Magic to take notes for both of them." Ven said loudly, pulling Draco into their arms, almost making him spill his drink.

"Where's the fire whiskey? I'll vanish it." Rose whispered to Harry as Draco got angry at Ven loudly, trying to get away from them, Melissa still mostly focused on playing with Harry's hair, having mostly finished on the third braid.

Harry pointed to the bed, knowing that Rose couldn't sign, and hoping that she understood what he meant. He felt a little embarrassed about the situation, because honestly he was enjoying learning about what Melissa was telling them about, and he liked Melissa braiding his hair, but it seemed like Draco didn't. Rose nodded, pointing her wand under the bed under the pretext of summoning something she'd dropped.

"So, anyway, how was you two's time at King Arthur's?" Ven asked again, having taken Draco's glass from him and put it on their bedside table, Draco still thrashing around.

"Oh yeah, there's a new girl in our year called Khadija Petterson, she was Harry's friend there and one of Maddison's victims. Maddison made her forget the two of them were friends and some other things, as well as making her bully him when they ran into each other. I had a lot of people clinging to me, but they all wanted to be Death Eaters and wanted ties with the Malfoys, so I didn't make any friends. Harry definitely had a much harder time than I did." Draco explained, "I don't really want to go into details."

"What house is she in?" Melissa asked, leaning forwards and hugging Harry as her eyes lit up in excitement.

"I don't know, she had to go to Professor McGonagall's office as soon as we got here, no doubt she'll come over and tell us if she's not sorted in front of everyone." Draco said with a shrug.

"Well, I will have to look out for her too, what does she look like?" Melissa said, hugging Harry slightly tighter.

"She's got kind of dark skin, dark eyes, and she has a hijab. I've never seen her in the Hogwarts uniform, so I've only really seen her wearing the muggle born King Arthur's uniform or casual clothes. She has decent taste." Draco described, he liked her as a person, about as much as he liked Pansy, but she hadn't left much of an impression on him.

"... There are at least 13 second years that fit that description in Hufflepuff." Rose said, rolling her eyes in a half joking way at Draco.

"Yeah, well, it's what she looks like." Draco mumbled, looking to the side a little awkward.

"I'm sure she does." Rose said, messing Draco's hair up. "I hope she likes her time here, from what I read it's quite different. Has she ever gone to a school that doesn't separate based on blood status?"

"I don't think so, she even thought that Hogwarts separated on blood status, I don't think she really likes that kind of separation, then again, it might be because of Maddison." Draco said with a shrug.

"Hogwarts have never separated based on blood status though. Slytherin used to only want to teach people with wizard parents or to take them away from their muggle parents, but that was a safety issue because of the Christianity based hatred of magic at the time." Melissa said, once again leaning her chin on Harry's head, arms still wrapped around him.

"Yeah, but if you think all schools have the racist classification system in place then you're more likely to accept it." Rose pointed out, popping a Bertie Bots in her mouth and immediately spitting it out again, throwing it in Ven's bin with her wand.

'Other than your relationship change, did anything happen while we were away?' Harry signed, Melissa noticing his hands, although she had to think a little more than normal as she was on the other side of the hands than she normally was on, but she did figure out what he was asking.

"Nothing much, we had a temporary Potions teacher, but she left when she got caught being racist about blood status, but that was about the same time as the news report of what happened with Melissa and I'm pretty sure she went to school there. I don't know if she was fired or quit though." Melissa told them, she wasn't at all keen on the woman, so she wasn't too upset about her having left.

"Was she any good at potions?" Draco asked.

"Nah, she rarely got the cauldron to the right temperature, which messed the potion up, especially in the upper years, but she was decent at the first year potions and a few second year potions." Ven said, rolling their eyes with a mean hearted chuckle.

"Definitely sounds like someone who went to King Arthur's, you aren't taught any practical skills, I'm sure Maddison would use her ability to make the purebloods and any other students that she likes to pass, but they probably don't know what they're doing." Draco said, his nose in the air.

"If they were never taught, it's not their fault they can't do something." Rose said sternly, looking at Draco with her eyebrow raised.

"They're the ones who chose to go to King Artur's though. They could have gone to a better school." Draco said with a slight pout, not that he would ever admit he could even make that expression.

'I mean, K-H-A-D-I-J-A wanted to come to H-O-G-W-A-R-T-S, but couldn't, you don't know how many people were like her.' Harry pointed out.

"Good point Harry, exactly Draco, not everyone has the choice about what school they can attend, for many reasons." Ven said, closing their eyes and raising their finger in a way that made it look like they thought they knew everything.

"Whatever. Harry and I should neaten up our room." Draco said with his face a little pink, getting off the bed and grabbing Harry's hand, pulling him along.

"See you both at the feast!" Melissa called after them, Harry giving the three a small smile before the two of them left.