Chapter 30

Harry and Draco had written to their parents and Remus and Sirius, but they failed to perform the spell to connect their trunks. Draco wasn't, at any point, allowed to go upstairs to Harry's room. He was only allowed to the 2 floors designated for purebloods, and if he tried to go further up, and made enough of a fuss, Professor Wilkins would come, and he would end up going back to his own room.

Occasionally Harry managed to sneak into Draco's room, James' invisibility cloak being very useful to do so. Those times they would sometimes talk about what had happened between their previous meeting, but normally Harry would be feeling terrible and Draco would read wizarding fairy tales to Harry as the two of them hugged each other close, Harry often falling asleep. Draco felt relieved those times, Harry was getting dark rings under his eyes, and usually seemed extremely tired.

Harry was shutting down again, and the majority of people in his class ignored him, excluded him, or made jokes to hurt him. Harry rarely told Draco about that either, only when it was so bad he needed to cry.

"Hi, are you alright?" A girl with her hair covered with hijab that was a dark blue. Her eyes were a beautiful dark brown that seemed endless, her skin was darker than his, but lighter than James'. She was very pretty, but Harry wasn't sure he had seen her before.

'Hello, I'm alright.' Harry signed, making her eyes widen, and she grabbed his hands.

"You can't sign here, the teachers, especially Professor Wilkins, hate sign language. They see it as a sign of weakness and hate it. To be honest they hate my hijab too, but they just about deal with it by moving me to be with the muggle borns." She said, her eyes wide, looking around anxiously, she had already let go of his hands as soon as she was sure he wasn't going to sign.

'OK, TᕼᗩᑎKS. I'ᗰ ᕼᗩᖇᖇY ᑭOTTEᖇ, YOᑌ?' Harry wrote on a scrap piece of paper.

"Khadija Petterson." She replied, talking to him in whispers. "I've been ill the past few days, so I missed your first week. I hope we can be friends."

'TᕼᗩT ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ ᗷE ᑎIᑕE.' Harry wrote, chewing the inside of his lip.

"Oh, and by the way I can spell a few things out in sign language and I can sign to ask for more cake, but other than that I really don't know much." Khadija said awkwardly, with a slightly lopsided smile.

'I ᑕᗩᑎ ᗯᖇITE ᖴOᖇ YOᑌ. I ᕼᗩᐯE ᗩ ᖴᖇIEᑎᗪ ᑕᗩᒪᒪEᗪ ᗪᖇᗩᑕO ᗯᕼO ᗩᒪSO GOES ᕼEᖇE.' Harry wrote, Khadija reading it over his shoulders to speed up the conversation.

"I assume they're not in our class, are they in the halfblood course?" Khadija asked, she had never been to a different wizarding school before, and assumed all of them separated the students by 'blood purity'.

'ᑎO, ᕼE'S ᗩ ᑭᑌᖇEᗷᒪOOᗪ, ᗯE ᗰET ᗷEᖴOᖇE ᗯE ᗯEᑎT TO ᕼOGᗯᗩᖇTS.' Harry wrote.

"Aren't you halfblood though? Wouldn't you be separated from him in school?" She asked, eyebrows furrowing.

'I'ᗰ ᕼᗩᒪᖴᗷᒪOOᗪ, ᗷᑌT ᗯE ᗯEᖇE Iᑎ TᕼE SᗩᗰE ᕼOᑌSE. ᕼOGᗯᗩᖇTS ᗪOESᑎ'T SEᑭᗩᖇᗩTE ᒪIKE TᕼᗩT.' Harry wrote, he honestly didn't understand the pureblood, halfblood, etc classification or separation, did it even matter? If people who were muggleborn were somehow lesser than those who were pureblood, then how come Hermione was the best in all her classes in first year? There were pureblood students in her classes too.

"Wait, so Hogwarts doesn't have different groups for the different blood groups? I thought that's what the houses were for. Slytherin for pureblood, Ravenclaw for halfblood, Hufflepuff for muggleborn, and Gryffindor for blood traitors." Khadija explained her line of thinking, everyone in the wizarding world knew Hogwarts, but her parents thought it was a little too grand, and this school was a fair amount cheaper for equipment.

'ᑎO, TᕼE ᕼOᑌSES ᗩᖇE ᒍᑌST ᗪIᖴᖴEᖇEᑎT ᑕᕼᗩᖇᗩᑕTEᖇISTIᑕS. ᗪᖇᗩᑕO ᗩᑎᗪ I ᗯEᖇE SᒪYTᕼEᖇIᑎS.' Harry wrote, ink getting smudged on his hand as he wrote as quickly as he could.

"What's the new head teacher like? Natasha McGonagall, right? There are some books written about her, like the ones about Gilderoy Lockheart, and the different places she saved with her DADA skills. She retired from the travelling and saving a while ago, though." Khadija said, her eyes sparkling brightly, she admired Natasha a lot, if she had known that Hogwarts was going to end up having her as the head teacher, she would have dome everything she could to have attended there instead.

'SᕼE'S ᑎIᑕE, SᕼE ᒪOOKEᗪ OᑌT ᖴOᖇ ᗪᖇᗩᑕO ᗩᑎᗪ ᗰE ᗩ ᒪOT. I ᗪIᗪᑎ'T KᑎOᗯ TᕼEᖇE ᗯEᖇE ᗷOOKS ᗩᗷOᑌT ᕼEᖇ TᕼOᑌGᕼ.' Harry wrote, he liked her, but it was hard to describe how he felt about her quickly in writing that was getting smaller and smaller as he was running out of room on the scrap paper.

"She's awesome, she learnt some magic from muggle books that she developed herself after she learnt some of the magic we use, which is why she's so good at dealing with magical issues because she has an outsider's viewpoint. She usually uses shadow magic when she's investigating or generally trying to be unnoticed. Did you know that she met her wife when they were in Germany for different reasons? Minerva McGonagall was there to learn more transfiguration, and Natasha had been asked to go there to deal with a magical creature that never ended up being identified. At their first meeting Natasha saved Minerva, but in the end it was Minerva who took down the creature that had Natasha cornered." Khadija rambled, she didn't seem to care if Harry was listening to her or not, more like she wanted someone who would let her talk about Natasha as much as she wanted.

'YOᑌ ᖇEᗩᒪᒪY ᒪIKE ᕼEᖇ?' Harry wrote, not that he was really expecting Khadija to respond.

"I admire her so much, when I'm older I want to be just like her, but with a husband... Not a wife." Khadija seemed to have gotten to the end of her fan rant, but her eyes were still sparkling.

Harry noticed that when she was excited about something, her eyes seemed to get a golden shine in them, making them almost look like a warmer than normal night sky.

"Oh, can I meet your friend Draco?" Khadija asked, half giving a fake cough as she awkwardly realised how much she had talked about Natasha.

Harry half shrugged, it depended on where her dorm was, what Draco wanted, and if Harry wanted to be with just Draco or not.