00

Kyoto Jujutsu High was one of the two pillars of the jujutsu community in Japan. Like their sister school, Tokyo Jujutsu High, they were an educational institution for jujutsu that fostered and nurtured the next generation of jujutsu sorcerers. The school was no different from their counterpart when it came down to the responsibility of curses, assigning their students and staff members to exorcise them as quickly as possible. They even shared the responsibility of searching for lost cursed items and retrieving them to keep non-cursed humans safe from danger. Curses that were under their care were often in surveillance under Kyoto's watchful eye. One of these many curses was a simple piece of one that was older than the respected Master Tengen.

They were a frightening creature during the time of ancient Japan, and continued to incite fear during the era of classical Japan. Unlike regular curses that wanted to harm humans, they did not actively pursue the death or destruction of any particular being. But, this curse was notorious for killing curses and sorcerers alike. Any that dared to step in their way were easily murdered before them, and there was never any evidence of that curse or sorcerer being alive afterwards. However, one fortunate sorcerer spread the word of this curse after an extremely difficult battle with them, crying and trembling with fear as they shouted.

The sorcerer revealed the name of the curse, stating that their name was Menreiki.

An innocent young girl framed by seven masks of different sizes that hovered around her like shields of iron. She wore clothes and accessories that held vibrant colors suitable for festivals. Her appearance should have been easy for sorcerers all over to find her, but yet, no one was able to. Curses and sorcerers merely continued to fall to her power, and for years, Menreiki had both communities in the palm of her hands.

With unease in their hearts, curses and sorcerers were afraid of the predator called Menreiki that would consume them all.

However, soon enough, Menreiki was defeated through the combined efforts of the sorcerers. Though the battle was not easy against her, their efforts came to fruition and they were able to subdue the curse. By taking away the masks that shielded her from danger, they pulled her apart and ripped her soul and essence. Because of her immense amount of cursed energy, it was incredibly disheartening that they couldn't get rid of her completely. So, they did the next best thing and littered her masks with talismans, covering the surfaces of the noh masks until there was nothing significant about them. To make sure that Menreiki will never be able to roam the land again, the sorcerers that participated in this battle against her scattered her masks around Japan.

Tokyo and Kyoto's jujutsu schools each held a mask of Menreiki deep within its core. Sitting within a display case with many warnings written to never remove the item and its many talismans off of it was the fate of Menreiki's masks. Regularly, the mask held within Kyoto had its talismans replaced to make sure that there was no chance of incarnating Menreiki. However, if one were to check the status of Menreiki's mask at this moment, they would find the room painted red, the glass of the display case shattered into broken pieces and a young man standing in the middle of it all. His expression seemed carefree and triumphant, ignoring the dead body that was brutally gutted of its organs with their limbs thrown in all corners of the room. In the young man's arms, cradled like a precious child, was none other than Menreiki's mask.

"Menreiki, the curse of all curses," He breathed out with a chuckle of disbelief as he stared at the mask, "I always heard that you were hidden in the sister schools, but I never believed it. I risked everything to get you, and I am incredibly pleased that I found you. Now, let's get out of here before we're both killed."

The man was fortunate enough to escape the school without any trouble and as he made his way to a secluded area made for unwrapping Menreiki's mask, he couldn't help but feel an adrenaline rush. The legend and reputation that surrounded Menreiki was still told in the modern era to sorcerers. It was one of their greatest achievements considering that they were still a newly formed organization. In a way, Menreiki could have a laughable reputation considering that she got sealed away by amateur sorcerers or she could have one of legend because of her long lasting reputation as a fear inducing curse.