a wish unfulfilled

A special chapter to celebrate 1K votes on Wattpad! ❤️

Thanks for all the support and kind interactions!

『 "I dream of you every night because I can't get enough of you." 』

A bright light shot through the blackened sky, cutting the night with its radiance before fading into nothing. The night immediately returned back to its normal routine, quiet and unbothered by what lay above and below, merely offering comfort to those that slept within its embrace. But amidst those that rested under the blanket of darkness, were two young girls who quietly giggled to themselves, laying on a bed of grass.

One of the two had long hair the color of the shadows, her hands clasped together in a prayer. Her intertwined hands gently kissed her lips as she pressed it close to her mouth. Her eyebrows were scrunched in thought, although there was an undeniable look of happiness as she giggled whenever she heard a similar sound from her companion.

"What did you wish for, Menreiki?" Her friend whispered loudly, cupping her mouth immediately afterwards. Yet, that joy still has yet to be extinguished as she smiled behind her palm.

Menreiki wagged her finger from side to side, shaking her head as she did so, "Silly Nobara! I can't tell you that or else my wish will never come true!"

"But I'm your best friend!" Nobara retorted with a pout, crossing her arms over her chest. "We should tell each other everything, you know?"

"Sorry, but I really want this wish to come true. So, I hope you can understand." Menreiki softly expressed with a look that seemed rather distant. Although, this look was not closed off, no, it was more open than one would think. It was full of warmth, yet so subtle that no one would notice unless they studied her face carefully.

Even for Nobara, it was an expression that she had never seen being casted on her friend. But for some odd reason, the way it paired so beautifully with her tender words made her think that it would be mean for her to ruin such a sight. With a dramatic sigh, Nobara crossed her arms behind her head, "Okayy. But you have to tell me when we're older. By then, your wish would be granted, right?"

"Hopefully," Menreiki laughed as scooted closer to her friend, shifting to lay on her side to face her. Nobara followed her actions, causing them to be each other's center of attention. Menreiki smiled weakly, "When will I see you again?"

"Everyday. Every night if you want," Nobara soothed as her hand came to brush a loose, disobedient strand of hair away from Menreiki's face. There was something in the midst of her facial features, but it quickly vanished when she patted Menreiki's head in a gentle manner. But her touch was not enough to keep Menreiki calm when the world around them had started to melt away like ice cream on a hot summer day. "Time for you to wake up."

"Wait!"

Menreiki shot up from her bed, her alarm clock obnoxiously blaring in her ears. Her left hand dropped on top of the machine as she rubbed her face, lightly scratching the crust at the corner of her eyes. Her figure slumped as she heaved a sigh, carding her fingers through her disheveled hair.

She swung her legs over the right side of her bed, toes grazing the wooden flooring beneath her. Purple slippers sat beside the bed, and as she slid her feet inside them, she yawned, "Another day. Good Morning, World."

The young woman quietly went through her morning routine, showering, brushing her teeth, putting on her clothes for the day and eating breakfast. She made her way to work, a small bakery run by an elderly couple, and let out a hum as she entered the shop. It was warm and cozy, the atmosphere seemingly embracing her as she walked in and smelled the fresh scent of toasted bread.