Chapter 12

"Hold still" I grumbled as I attempt to weave two braids into the opposite sides of Julie's hair.

"I am holding still" Julie groaned.

"Maybe you're just bad at hair" Nate chuckled quietly as he scrolled through his phone while lying down on the bed.

"Shut up". We were currently trying to get Julie ready for her date, well.... I was. After a long time searching, we finally agreed on a dress.

It was a light blue knee length gown to complement her eyes. It was sleeveless so it showed off her dainty arms. The weather wasn't at all cold since it was summer, so she'd be pretty comfortable. The upper bodice was fitted then as it moved down her body it became a bit loose. She looked really beautiful in it.

"What are doing anyway?" I asked Nate.

"Probably stalking his crush on Instagram" Julie mocked.

I turned around just in time to catch his face flame red. It was really amusing.

"I'm really enjoying this" she whispered to me smugly after witnessing his reaction.

"Wait... Does your crush have an Instagram account?" She added to rile him up more.

"I don't know what you're talking about" he replied with a embarrassed look "so I'm not gonna entertain you".

"Yeah sure".

I smacked Julie's arm "stop turning around and let me finish this. Let him be".

She turned around and I quickly finish pinning the loose hair into a bun, "done".

"Oo.. I love it. Thanks darling" she gushed.

"Yeah.... You should probably do your makeup yourself. Your makeup is usually better than mine".

"No it's not. But sure, I'll do it. After all I've suffered you enough" she giggled.

"Well.. hurry up. Your date's in an hour".

They decided to meet up in a small restaurant not too far from the supermarket he worked at. There was no need picking her up as she had a car and giving out her address on the first date probably wasn't the best idea.

After about 25 minutes she was ready to go. We went downstairs and her mum turned around at the sound of our footsteps.

"Oh darling, you look beautiful" she gushed.

Julie's face turned red "mum!". She looked embarrassed as we watched with amused grins but I knew she was also glowing from the compliment.

"Alright darling, I won't say much. Have fun".

"And don't forget to be your dorky self" I called out teasingly.

"Yeah" she mumbled looking embarrassed with all the attention. I was amused. It wasn't everyday you saw Julie this shy. She turned around and walked carefully to her car, she entered the driver's seat and with a more confident grin directed at us, she drove off.

I was about to tell Mrs Kri... Kate that I'll be on my way when she loudly announced "alright, who want some snacks!". My tummy immediately grumbled.

After eating our fill of the delicious cupcakes, we said goodbye and left the house. She offered us a ride but we refused quickly as we didn't want to bother her.

On our way passing the gate, Nate's phone started ringing loudly. He brought out his phone from his pocket and after looking at the caller ID, his lips turned downwards into a frown.

I was curious but before I could ask he mumbled an "excuse me" and walked down the road until I couldn't hear what he was saying.

I stood patiently but couldn't help but observe his facial expressions and try to understand what he was talking about by watching him. I know I wasn't supposed to try and listen in but I was concerned.