Chapter 23

My anger bubbled up to the surface at the sound of his voice. This was partly his fault. Chloe did this to stop me from talking to him.

No. I couldn't blame him for something Chloe did. Attempting to control my anger by taking a deep breath, I called out as calmly as I could "yes. What do you want?"

"Hey I just heard about what happened and I thought I could help."

"Well I don't need your help." I reply curtly annoyed at Chloe, him, this situation, everything.

"Come on Hannah. Just come out for a sec."

"I said I don't need your help!"

"I have a solution to your problem." He coaxed.

Curiosity arose in me. Did he truly have something that could help?

I look at Julie for help and she shrugs at my indecision.

"Fine. I'm coming out."

I straighten my shirt to look presentable even though I know it's impossible with the huge red stain on my back. I crack the door open and move out.

Mason stood there with Nate behind him. Looking satisfied he says "can I speak to you?"

"Of course. What's your solution?"

Mason's eyes dart towards Nate and Julie as they huddle away from my hearing, whispering.

"I have a jacket and I can lend it to you."

I am surprised but I tune it down and fold my hands across my chest. "Why should I accept help from you?" He didn't need to know I was desperate.

"Why shouldn't you?" He counters.

"Are you kidding me? Your friend did this to me! Just because of some stupid attempt at warning me away from you guys!"

Disbelief flickers on his face. "Look. Maybe this was Chloe's fault but I'm sure it was an accident."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Are you... Are you defending her?"

He rubs his hands down his face. "I'm not Hannah. You're just angry. It doesn't have to be like this."

"It doesn't have to be like this?!" I repeat outraged. "She literally poured paint all over me and showed no remorse and you expect me not to be angry? I'm not only angry. I'm mad, annoyed, embarrassed, just because your friend was throwing a tantrum!"

He puts his hands gently on my shoulder "calm down, ok? Throwing blames at each other isn't going to achieve anything."

I can't believe he's not willing to admit that it was Chloe's fault. Friends or not, this was completely her fault. But he was right. I couldn't drive away the only person that had a solution to my problem right now.

So I breathed in and forced out "Alright. Do you have the jacket here?"

"Yes. It's in my bag." He dropped the bag on the ground and zipped it open, bringing out a dark brown leather jacket.

I took it from him and quickly shrugged it on. It wasn't a perfect fit because Mason was taller than me and broader, but I could manage it. It was far better than the other option.

Looking up at him I swallowed "thanks for your help. I'm sorry for how I treated you just now."

"It's no problem."

"I better go. My friends and I are already late for class and so are you."

I turned to leave but then remembered something. "When can I return this to you? I don't know if I can return it tomorrow so maybe Friday? Monday?"