Chapter 18

Today, I was feeling well and woke up ready to go to school. It was Monday and I was hoping to begin the new week with a fresh start.

I had hoped to get a ride from dad but he couldn't make it. He had been making calls all morning and he had looked really stressed. Mom had looked normal but there was a tight smile on her face.

I had called Julie yesterday evening in hopes that she could pick me up this morning, but her phone was off. They probably had a family night. Their mom loved organising a family dinner or outing every Sundays and everyone in the family was roped to attend. Her mom made sure they had a 'no phone' rule. Julie must have forgotten to switch her phone back on.

Mason had eventually replied to my text on Saturday with a ridiculous comment. We had pretty much thrown properly veiled insult at each other until I had choked up with laughter and ended the whole thing. He could be funny when he wasn't looking you in the eye and acting cocky.

I decided to take the bus but I sorely regretted it when a man in his late twenties claimed the seat beside me. I didn't mind and continued looking out the window until I was hit with the stench of sweat. I realized the guys was probably coming back from an early morning run. I did my best to sit still and subtly covered my nose.

When we got to the school compound, I quickly bolted off the bus. Taking in a breath of fresh air, I start heading inside to get to my locker.

"Hannah!"

I spin around to find Noah standing near his car. I send him a small smile and start moving towards him and he meets me halfway.

"Hi" I greet.

"Hey."

"How are you doing?" He reaches fowards and touches my forehead.

"I'm good."

"Yeah you look great." A compliment?

I smile shyly "Thanks."

"You're welcome. Um... Wait here." He grins and jogs back to his car. I can see him opening the door and brings out something that looks packaged.

He jogs back and hands it to me "Here."

I take it and shake it a little "What's inside?"

"The brownies."

"Oh, you brought it?!" I get excited and move to give him a light hug without crushing the brownies. He stiffens and slowly turns red when I pull away.

Oh Hannah. Please don't make this awkward.

He ducks his head with his face still red "Yeah, I had a bit of free time."

Ignoring the pink tint I can feel on my cheeks I reply excitedly "Thank you!"

"I can't wait for Julie and Nate to taste this" I gush excitedly, ignorant of the apprehensive look on his face.

"Is there anything I can do for you? Are you sure I don't have to pay?"

He clears his throat "n-no, um... no you don't have to pay." He pauses "but I'd love if you could do something for me."

"Sure. What do you need?"

He suddenly looks very nervous but he squares his shoulder with a more confident look "Dinner. Have dinner with me Saturday night, would you?"

Oh.

My hands immediately find the edge of my sleeve as I become flustered. And the way he looks asking me just makes me want to melt like a puddle on the floor.

"Like a date?" I ask slowly. I need everything to be clear.

"Yeah?" He licks his lower lip nervously and he looks like he's going to bolt if I keep staring at him.