Chapter 13

I was so exhausted when I got home, I could barely wait to get to bed. I didn't even know why I was so tired. Maybe it was all the time I spent looking for a good dress and the time I stood up doing Julie's hair.

I didn't expect to see mum or dad at home as they already told me it was a busy week. At least tommorow was Sunday, and they weren't working.

I quickly prepared dinner and ate a bit as I wasn't very hungry. I put the rest in the refrigerator for whenever they got home. I changed into my sleep wear and fell into bed.

            __________________

A low buzzing near my ear woke me up and I groaned, loudly. I reached around blindly until my hands located the source. I grabbed my phone and looked at the screen. It was Julie. She was probably calling to rant all about her date. The thought of it made me want to fall back asleep and pretend I missed the call, but I didn't.

"Hello" I croaked.

"Hi Hannah". Her voice was low. I immediately sat up.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Did I wake you up?" She asked. I thought that was obvious.

"Um.. no" I lied "I was awake reading a book".

"Um... Ok." I was confused. This was not what I expected, at all. She was too quiet.

"Is everything ok?" I asked hesitantly "Aren't you going to tell me all about your date?"

"Um.... I guess. When I got there it was ok. He was a gentleman and all, even brought out my chair. I started bringing up conversations but he wasn't replying properly." She paused.

"I'm listening" I urged.

"I started to feel uncomfortable and resorted to asking him questions but he gave me one word answers. He didn't even ask me about myself. He just sat there and smiled awkwardly while nodding his head" she sniffed "At least he paid the bill."

"Oh that's...bad".

"Yeah I started feeling like...."

"Like....?" I pressed.

"Like he didn't want me there. It was that bad. Maybe he regretted asking me out. I felt boring" she huffed "me, boring. He didn't even say anything about a next time!"

"What a jerk." I confirmed.

"Yeah, and to think I was even excited."

"He doesn't deserve another date anyway, and I'm pretty sure he was the boring one" I tried to cheer her up.

"Yeah, I don't care anyway. Good riddance." She tried to act like she didn't care but I could hear a bit of hurt in her voice.

"My best friend is awesome and he's a loser. He's lucky you agreed to go out with him. Any guy would be lucky to go on a date with you." I praised.

She chuckled "nice compliment. But thanks, I do feel better."

"That's the spirit!. Now go to sleep and don't let such petty matters disturb your beauty sleep."

"Why do I feel like you're practicing your compliment skills on me?"

I giggled "just go to sleep. I'll see you Monday."

"Ok bye. You're... you're a great friend."

"I know" I boasted.

I could feel her eyeroll over the phone "good night." She ended the call.

I fell on the bed and welcomed the lull of sleep that beckoned me.

               _________________