five

Felix clears his throat, perhaps a bit too loud. She jumps a little, her eyes wide as she stares at him.

"Are you okay?" She asks, scanning him from head to toe before anxiously looking up at him. Felix bites the inside of his cheek, already regretting his decision.

"Um, yeah," he laughs nervously, swallowing hard as she slowly nods. She purses her lips, looking him up and down again before turning to face the table.

Taking a deep breath, Felix takes a step closer, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Actually, no."

She raises her eyebrows, inviting him to explain. How is it that she has so much power over him? She could tell him to end world hunger and he'd do it, just for her. Felix nods, more to himself than her, before looking into her eyes.

"I like you. There's no reason why, I just do. When I see you smile, there's nothing more I could ask for. I really like you." Clearing his throat again, Felix pulls the box out of his pocket. He gives it to her, praying that she doesn't notice how trembly his hands are. 

She sets the box down on the table, not even looking at it. Felix sighs silently, deflating internally. She doesn't feel the same way. Why did I think she would?

Felix somehow musters a sad smile, attempting to hide how much she hurt him with her rejection. But he's stopped by a mere few words.

"Took you long enough," she mutters, before standing and throwing her arms around Felix's neck. Smiling against his skin, she laughs out loud. "I like you too."