nine

With his eyes closed, Felix sighs, listening to the gentle patter of the rain overhead. To him, there's nothing more relaxing than the sound of rain as he falls asleep.

The gentle breathing to his left shows that Abhigna agrees. Felix opens his eyes and slowly turns on his side, smiling as he sees her sleeping. She's facing him, her hands under her head as she enjoys her time in her dream world.

Felix reaches out and brushes a strand of hair from her face, letting his hand rest on the top of her head. Softly, afraid he'll wake her up, he scratches her scalp and plays with her hair, letting the soft strands fall through his fingers. 

She sighs in her sleep, tilting her head as Felix scoots closer. As if she knows he's still next to her, her arm comes up to rest over Felix's chest and she moves her leg to lay on top of his.

Felix holds his breath for a moment, his eyes wide. Don't breathe too loudly, he says to himself. Don't even think too loudly

He moves a tiny bit closer, carefully moving so her head is right below his neck, instead of on the pillow. Felix smiles, satisfied as he brings his hand back up to her hair and tangles his fingers in the strands.

"You're asleep," he whispers into the quiet, the only sound their breathing and the gentle rain. "But I'm going to talk to you anyway, because I don't think I can say this when you're awake."

Felix takes a deep breath, checking on Abhigna once to make sure she's still sleeping.

"I love everything about you. The way you rub your eyes when you're tired. How forgetful you are." Felix chuckles, closing his eyes as he envisions the first time he saw her. "The way you type keyboard smashes whenever you don't know what to say."

"I love the way you smile awkwardly when you don't know what to do with your hands. I love you, and I don't think I'll ever stop."

Felix's breathing evens out as he holds her in his arms, a small smile resting on his face. The idea of the girl he loves has drawn him to sleep, making him dream of her and flower fields, soft kisses and brownie dates.

But she wasn't asleep.