The internship pt 2

Thank you guys for nearly 2k reads!! This chapter is dedicated to hurricane Henri (peeps in ny stay safe!)

Peter's POV:

Peter stared at his text. 'May said I could do it'? Why did he do that? She hadn't changed her mind and it was clear she never would... and he had gone behind her back, telling Mr. Stark that he'd do it. His fingers hovered over the keyboard on his phone. He should apologize. Say that she'd actually said no. He can't do the internship. Peter began to type, then froze. Deleted it.

He felt a rush of anger ignite like a fire. He was angry at himself for not being strong enough to tell Stark the truth, at Stark himself for putting him in that position in the first place, and at May for not letting him do the internship. He threw his phone onto his bed and stood up, opened his closet, and took out his spider man suit.

Five minutes later he was outside, running on the tops of buildings. Furious rain sluiced off of his suit, transforming the streets into rivers. The wind was steel, slashing at his face and hair, blinding him. His anger merged with the weather until he felt like he could understand the abrasive wind's howling and the rain's tears were indistinguishable from his own. He yelled into the night but the wind tore his voice from him, ripping his vocal cords from his throat rendering him literally speechless.

Eventually he tired of running and slumped down onto the roof of a random building. Water sloshed over his hands and left him shivering. Lightening lit up the sky in the distance. He counted the seconds between it and the thunder. 10 seconds, which meant the lightening was 2 miles away. He should get up and find shelter. Peter propped himself up on his elbows and looked out over Queens. The sky was pitch black and the lights from people's apartments were golden squares of against it. He stood up and started making his way back home.

Tony POV:

He had texted Peter fifty times with no response. How could the kid just drop the news then leave? He had questions! When would Peter be starting? What were the days and hours he'd work? What did he like more - coffee or tea?

Tony huffed in annoyance and put down his phone. Peter would need to give him some more details, but he was obviously busy at the moment... or ignoring him. Tony hoped the kid hadn't gone out in the storm. He went back to working on his project. He was trying to make an anti-gravity device. Again. He wasn't sure what he was doing wrong, he'd done the same thing that he'd done on the first one...

Lightening in the shape of a long, thin bolt made him pause his work. Thunder crashed in a bit afterwards. The deep, rumbling sound rolled through his room.

"FRIDAY?" Tony called out.

"Yes, sir?"

"The lightening is pretty close."

"Yes, sir. Executing Storm Safety protocol."

"Thanks Fri."

He tried to concentrate back on his work, but his mind had wandered. Tony picked up his phone again and spammed Peter some more.

Tony Stark 2:

Peeeeeeeter
Peter
Peter
Hey, Peter
Kid.
Answer.
K
I
D
A
N
S
W
E
R
M
E
Peterrrrrrrrr

Peter:

Oh wow. There are like 100 unread texts, Mr. Stark.

Tony Stark 2:

Well it's your fault you didn't answer!

Peter:

Sorry sir! I just went out for a walk. Needed to clear my head.

Tony Stark 2:

IN THIS WEATHER??
KID ARE YOU INSANE?
DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?
I GOT THREE EMERGENCY ALERTS TELLING PEOPLE TO STAY SAFE BECAUSE WE ARE IN A DANGEROUS AND LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION!
DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID, REMEMBER I TOLD YOU THAT?

Peter:

You never told me that.

Tony Stark 2:
Well I thought it was common sense but apparently not.
And what were you thinking??
Peter:

I told you, I just wanted to clear my head.

Tony Stark 2:

Of what? Your brain? Your soul? Because you could've died! You could've got hit by lightening and gotten your brain fried! How do you think I'd feel if I knew my new personal intern died before he could even start his job? It'd give me a bad rep!

Peter:

I'm fine though, really Sir.

Tony Stark 2:

Hmmm where did I here that before? Oh right, when you fucking got stabbed!

Peter:

Anyway.
I can start whenever, really. And I can do every day as long as it's after school. And tea. Obviously. But I mean... coffee's fine too if you only have coffee then I can drink that or I could just not drink anything, really I won't be thirsty.

Tony Stark 2:

Don't think you're getting off that easy, kid. But how about you come in 4-7? Monday-Friday? And I can pay you any amount.

Peter:

Oh uh yeah! I mean I don't really need to be paid at all...

Tony Stark 2:

Kid, kid, kid, kid, kid.
If I don't pay you it'd be child labor and I don't want any of those protection organizations up my ass.

Peter:

Oh right. Okay yeah, well, any amount is good. Maybe like... $20 every month? I'm not sure!

Tony Stark 2:

Kid, seriously? $20? I'm a millionaire, remember?
You know what, I'll give you a nice check when you come in. And you'll start Monday. Good?

Peter:

Yeah! Good! Great, even. Brilliant. Fantastic. Perfect. Awesome! Cool. Sweet. Yep...
Yeah.

Tony Stark 2:

..okay.

Peter POV:

Peter threw his phone onto his bed again and jumped up from his seat. He started pacing the room, hands rubbing his arms, thinking. Now it was real. The internship was a tangible, real thing. He would start Monday. May would be working until 6. How would this work? If he wasn't home when she was then... but he couldn't leave the internship early. His feet came to a halt and his hands worked their way up to his hair. He pressed his palms into his forehead and closed his eyes. Think, think...

How could he do both? His only hope was that aunt May wouldn't notice that he wasn't home. He could bring his suit with him to the internship and put it on when he got back so that he could climb up to his window. And if May did realize he wasn't home... he hoped hanging out with Ned would be a good enough excuse. It was a terrible plan that would probably go wrong in some way, but what other choice did he have?