[22:] a series of unfortunate events.

word count: 2.8k

warnings: mention of drinking/alcohol addiction

- - -

"Thank you so much. Have a good day," Y/N smiled at the cashier before leaving the market with her groceries.

She lived alone, so she only had to carry a few bags.

Stepping outside, she let the sunshine warm her face. Y/N walked a couple paces, then turned her head suddenly. She could've sworn there had been someone standing by the doors of the super market. Must've been a trick of the mind. It's not like they could've just disappeared.

She kept walking, down the block as she always did. It looked like it had started to snow. But then she looked closer. It was... ash? Why would there be ash?

Y/N looked up. Maybe it was some freak weather thing, or maybe a huge fire nearby. But it wasn't falling from the sky like ash normally would in those scenarios. She stopped walking and turned around. She had somehow... walked through a small flurry of it?

The spot she had walked through had a pile of this 'ash' on the ground. And some was on her clothes and in her hair.

"Oh, ew," she brushed it off.

She was about to bend down to inspect whatever she had just walked through when her entire body startled from a massive crash behind her, and she stumbled to the ground trying to cover her ears.

Panicking, she tried to scoot away from the street. Two cars just slammed into each other and caused a cascade of accidents around them. They were just a few yards from her; she very nearly could have died.

She was wobbly on her feet trying to stand back up. Her ears were ringing and one of her knees felt wet. She looked down. Blood. There was screaming a couple blocks down the street, and somewhere else there was another crash.

Her chest sunk when she realized. "Oh God."

A terrorist attack.

She didn't even think about looking back at the bags she left on the sidewalk as she ran as fast as she could back to her apartment.

-

She had no idea what was going on. Whatever was happening had killed the power in her building. No TV, no news, no internet. She was in the dark, literally and figuratively.

She placed candles around every room. She barely slept, and she didn't once dare to leave. Every now and then she heard some kind of crash or boom or yelling outside.