[25:] everything is different now.

word count: 3.1k

- - -

- - -

"Hi..."

Instantly, her confused quadrupled. "Hi? Can... I help you?"

The man seemed puzzled now, too.

"I-... What do you mean?"

"Do you need something? I don't... I'm confused."

"Is that a joke?" he chuckled nervously. "I know five years is a while but come on..."

A joke? What is he on about?

"No... Um..." she glanced over his shoulder. "I think you have the wrong apartment? Who are you looking for? I might know them."

As if I'd be looking for anyone else, he thought to himself.

"No... I came to see you."

"Uh... for what? I'm sorry, I really don't know what's going on."

This had to be some kind of joke. Why would she pretend not to know him?

"Come on, this-... It's not funny. Why are you doing this?"

She just stared at him, endlessly perplexed.

Bucky was dumbfounded. What the fuck was happening?

"I'm sorry, sir. I don't know you. You have the wrong apartment," her voice was more stern now. "You can ask downstairs for the person you're looking for."

With that she closed the door. Bucky's jaw went slack, hanging open in shock.

How could she... Why would she... What the fuck?

Her voice was still going in his head, repeating I don't know you over and over again. The words sunk deep into his chest and stung. There was no way she would have been pretending. That would just be cruel, and Y/N wasn't cruel. But at the same time, there was no way she could have actually forgotten who he was.

However, the more the phrase kept repeating, the more familiar it seemed. The tone of her voice, the look in her eyes. She had a certain hesitance that ran deeper than normal confusion.

Bucky recognized that breed of uncertainty, that profound mistrust of oneself. He's felt that, he's seen that... in himself. It almost sounded like... him. He froze, in fear, with the realization that other things can cause memory loss. That other things, other people had the ability to alter someone's mind.

And if some of those other people had enough access to her to change alter her mind, what else could they have done? Within seconds, his entire body was stinging with anger and dread.

"Fuck," he whispered.

If they hurt her...

-

"You have to help me," Bucky declared while pacing around his hotel room, phone to his ear.