[23:] love is so short, forgetting so long.

word count: 2k

- - -

"Finally," she gasped holding the file out in front of her.

She slapped the folder onto her kitchen counter on her way to the bedroom. She grabbed an empty shoe box from her bedroom closet and began picking up the letters. One by one they went into the box.

"Done-" she put another one in, "with-" another one, "this."

Y/N shoved the box up into a loose tile in the ceiling of her bedroom closet. Never to be seen again.

Her movements were almost frenzied as she did it. She had been eaten up by grief and was desperately trying to escape its clutches - like an animal chewing its leg off to survive. Maybe she wasn't in her clearest of heads. But she was hopeless. And reckless.

She took a breath and made her way back to the kitchen.

-

It didn't have every detail about the experiments - the file. But, it had enough. After S.H.I.E.L.D. fell, she was able to get her hands on it, unable to resist knowing something she wasn't supposed to. Human nature, she figured.

She knew that the T.A.H.I.T.I. project was supposed to be used on a wounded Avenger. Y/N knew very well that she was not an Avenger and she did not need alien blood to heal a fatal wound.

The slip of paper in the back of the folder had an address on it, and was there when Y/N got the file. She knew someone, a woman.

A woman who runs an underground business. Y/N didn't recall the entire conversation, but it was something about the woman's husband that made her start up.

She had no idea how this woman got her hands on the machine or if she even built it herself. But she knew it existed, and she knew the woman's name. What Y/N didn't know, was if she was still alive. The Snap killed half of all people on Earth. What's to say the woman wasn't one of them?

There was only one way to find out.

-

It took an hour to get to the address. Y/N stood in front of some abandoned warehouse. It looked desolate. And so did her odds. Nevertheless, she continued.

The roof was caved in and there were birds inside the warehouse that flew in through the massive hole. The entire place was dusty, and every step she took echoed off every wall.

She walked farther, smelling the empty air. It was silent.

"Hey!"