Chapter 22

It didn't take long before the storm took off.

"Mummy, Grace won't make me a sandwich."

"I've already made him a sandwich."

"I ate that one."

"That's not my problem."

I smiled, rubbing my belly as I sat, watching my kids argue. In the midst of the madness around us, they brought me a peace that I appreciated. I'd been sitting with them the whole morning after they woke me up to make me breakfast under their father's instructions.

"How about we play some games and have snacks?" I suggested.

They both agreed eagerly, the sandwich forgotten, and we headed to the games room down the hall after prepping our snacks. Finding a game that was appropriate for the three of us was tricky, but picking Pictionary definitely had us all in high spirits from our terrible drawings.

"It looks like a potato," Grace argued.

"It's a mountain," Ethan countered.

"Mom, potato or mountain?"

I wasn't even breathing from how hard I was laughing. I had tears rolling down my face, and yet my kids looked at me like they were glad I was in that state. I fought to keep my guilt from showing when I realized that we really hadn't spent any time together as a family.

We definitely needed to go on a vacation together.

"How come you guys are having a party alone?" my brother asked from the door.

"Uncle Richie!" Ethan shouted before running up to him.

Richard picked him up effortlessly, hoisting him into the air as my son giggled. "Hey little man."

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" Grace asked him.

He shrugged. "I got bored so I figured I'd come through. Plus, I need to talk to your mom."

"What's happening?" I asked him.

He shot Grace a look, who seemed to read it perfectly. "Hey Ethan, let's go and play with the puppies outside."

"Ooh, mummy can we? Can we give them a bath?" my son questioned excitedly.

I stood up to kiss his chubby cheeks. "Go and have fun."

"Yes!" he cheered before jumping down from Richard's arms.

Once the two of them left, my brother joined me at the bean bags. "These things are super comfortable."

"Tell me about it," I said, sighing as my hands returned to my belly.

"You look good given everything that's happening," he commented.

"Both Oli's warned me against stressing myself out. They said to stay home and not worry about anything. They've got things covered," I told him.

"Both Oli's?" he questioned.

"Olivier Castro, my fiancé's best friend," I clarified.

"I wasn't aware they were on the same side now," he said.

I shrugged. "It's a long story, but they're on the same side again. They even speak the same language when it comes to me and staying put."

"Well, I can't say I'm mad that my brother in law raking is some serious points," he joked, making me smile.

"What's up Richie?" I asked him.

He sunk further into the bean bag, looking like he was dreading what he had to tell me. "Mom's lost it, and Jeffrey is having the time of his life sponsoring her crazy."