Chapter 14

"Twins?"

"Yep! As I mentioned before, you're eleven weeks along. The ultrasound only confirmed that you're pregnant with twins. I'm surprised you're only getting the morning sickness now though. It tends to be severe for women carrying multiples," Dr Clive Martens, my new gynaecologist in San Francisco, informed.

Grace and I sat, watching him with the same amount of confusion and disbelief, while Phyllis was unfazed. I'd come with the two of them to confirm whether or not I was pregnant, and as soon as that was confirmed, I asked for an ultrasound.

"Are you able to give us a due date?" Phyllis asked him.

"It's still too early, especially since she's carrying twins. We'll check again in a couple of weeks. Rose, are you ok?" he asked me.

"Twins," I whispered, still stunned.

"I'm going to be a big sister to two more babies," Grace added her own whisper.

"I'm sorry they're like this," Phyllis apologized on our behalf.

"Oh no, it's ok. I deal with this all the time. The shock will eventually fade. In the meantime, how about I go and collect all the information you're going to need?" Dr Martens offered.

"Please and thank you," Phyllis replied. He left the room shortly after.

"Rose honey, are you ok?" Phyllis asked softly.

I turned to her, tears in my eyes as I could feel the panic attack coming on. "No."

"Ok, first thing you're going to do is calm down ok? Just breathe in and out," she said.

"I thought this part comes at the end of pregnancy," Grace joked.

I managed to laugh a little at that and get my breathing under control. "You're taking this better than I am."

"I'm not the one who's pregnant, and besides, I'm getting more siblings. There's nothing better than that in my books," Grace argued.

"Where do I start telling Olivier?" I asked.

Both Grace and Phyllis' eyes widened and they suddenly looked super excited. "What is wrong with the two of you?"

"It's his birthday today!"

I froze at those words, simply because I'd forgotten. I'd spent so much time being mad at him that the days leading up to this day just seemed to fade away. Hell, I didn't even have anything special planned for the day.

"With this whole Valerie thing, I completely forgot, and I don't even have a gift for him," I panicked.

"Except you do," Grace hinted.

I frowned. "I do?"

"Geez Rose, you can be slow sometimes. Your pregnancy! News about your pregnancy is your gift to him," Phyllis elaborated.

"That can't be my gift to him. What if he's not happy about the pregnancy? What if he was fine with having just two kids? Oh my God! What if he leaves me? What if my pregnancy has ruined everything? There's no way I'm getting an abortion, but I'm not ready to lose him either and I'm not ready to raise two kids by myself," I panicked.

"Breathe," the two of them said and I inhaled heavily before exhaling.

"The next eight to nine months are clearly going to be a blast with you," Phyllis teased, making me laugh as I wiped away my tears.

"Dad isn't going to leave you because of this. This is going to make your relationship stronger and you have to believe that," Grace told me.

"Grace is right. I've seen the way he looks at you Rose. I've never seen that look on his face before. You already know that he's in love with you, so why would this make him run? If anything, I'm pretty sure it seals the deal for you guys," Phyllis added.