Chapter 13

"Mummy, when is daddy coming?"

I looked down at him and he was giving me the same puppy dog eyes that he'd been giving me for the past week and a half. As had become the norm, I didn't know what to say to him. I didn't have an answer for him.

"You do realize that you need to leave at some point right? I'm surprised he hasn't stalked you yet," Phyllis commented before sipping her tea.

"He's too busy with his lover," I mumbled bitterly.

She sighed. "I don't think that they're lovers. Based on what you told me, he wants to be with you."

"Which explains why he kissed her back and has been out with her every night since right?" I shot back.

"Ok, so his actions don't exactly defend his cause, but you can't hide forever. As it is, you haven't been to school in almost a month. I'm surprised Gail hasn't fired you yet," she said.

"Technically I have been working. I just worked out a different arrangement with her until I'm ready to come out of hiding," I argued.

"I'm just glad you're not denying the fact that you're hiding," she said amusedly.

A week and a half ago, I watched as the man who claimed to love me kissed another woman. He was momentarily dazed, but he undoubtedly kissed her back. When she pulled away, gushing about how much she'd missed him, he only stood there frozen, not saying anything.

It hurt me deeply to see him not do anything about the situation, so I got into the car where Fabio was already waiting. It was as though he knew what was about to happen when he gave Olivier the heads up, and he knew I would want to get as far away from the situation as I could.

Except Ethan followed me.

He got into the car with me and when he reached out to wipe away my fallen tear, I broke down as Fabio drove away. I eventually managed to ask Fabio to bring me to Phyllis' house, and again, Ethan wouldn't leave.

Olivier eventually called and texted me, trying to explain, but I just wasn't ready to listen. Just as I was about to give him the opportunity, I was bombarded by article after article of all the different places he'd been spotted with his friend.

The most painful part was reading about myself. Our pictures from Denver had made it into media, and him being spotted with this friend, has people wondering if I was just a fling. It didn't make things any better that every time they asked him about me, he told them 'no comment'.

He couldn't even defend our relationship in public.

I'd even avoided Grace's text and calls. Fabio hadn't shared my location with either Olivier or Grace, and he told me that he told Olivier that Ethan was safe with me and refused to leave my side. I don't know how Olivier feels about that though, especially since he waited for so long to finally have Ethan as his son.

Only for me to take him away.

Ethan and I have formed a strong bond since. He's been at my side the whole time. We've been staying at Phyllis' house since Nina was away at camp, and her husband was away on business, leaving her home alone.

She was shocked when I told her about Ethan, and I guess my emotions overwhelmed me because I opened up about everything else. She believes that I should still give Olivier a chance to explain himself, but I don't even know if I'll be able to look him in the eye.

"Mummy," Ethan whined beside me.

"What is it baby?" I asked him.

"I want to see daddy," he pouted.