Greetings From The Grave

Sam and Y/N go back down the staircase and out into the open area where they first split up. Bucky was standing there waiting and all three of them watched as Zemo approached the orphaned children while singing a song. He sat down in front of them and pulled another chair in front of him before dumping out a brown paper bag filled with Turkish delight on top. He spoke for a moment with one of the children, a young girl, before standing up and approaching the rest of the group that formed their little dysfunctional family. With the group reunited they all left and returned to where their temporary home was. Y/N slowed down their walk and ended up a distance away from the rest of the boys.

"I'm gonna go for a walk," they announced, catching the attention of Sam who stopped as the other two went inside.

"Alright," Sam said. "Be careful."

"Don't worry," Y/N said with a small smile in his direction before walking off down the street, feet moving forward without a goal. They walked down the streets of Madripoor just to see where they'd end up. Life seemed to have a plan at play, because Y/N saw in front of them a familiar face they weren't expecting to see that day.

"Hey," Y/N said as they approached the familiar stranger sitting on top of a memorial gravestone. Their head perked up and a small smile grew on their face at the sight of Y/N.

"I didn't know when I'd see you again, Birdie," Karli said, moving slightly to the side to make space next to her. Y/N sat down on the cool stone.

"I'm Y/N, by the way," Y/N said, awkwardly extending their hand in Karli's direction who shook it with a small chuckle escaping her lips. "We didn't really have time for introductions the last time we met."

"Karli," she said, introducing herself. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted a breather, started walking and ended up here, I guess," Y/N said, staring out at the other graves spread out in front of them. Karli stared at the face of her soulmate for a moment, still trying to grasp the fact that everything was real, that the two of them were there together just talking.

"I'm happy you did," she said, Y/N turned to face her.

"Life didn't make it easy for us, did it?" Y/N said, scanning the features of Karli's face.

"I'm sure we can figure something out," Karli said, not breaking eye contact.

"If only things were different," Y/N said and placed their head on Karli's shoulder. The action seemed like the most natural thing but their heart was beating out of their chest. Was it too early? Should I have done that? I can't put my head back up, she might think I regret it- All the thoughts running through their head were interrupted when Karli rested her head on top of theirs, replacing them with a nice feeling and smile across their face. The conversation continued after that, everything about it just felt right as they shared childhood stories and spoke about their hobbies. Leaving felt like the hardest thing to do but then the realisation hit that the chances were high that the next time they'd be seeing each other would be a fight.