Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"I can't believe this! No, screw that — I can't believe him!"

"What a freaking asshole! What are we still in high school and people still give a crap about their reputations?"

"Right! Who does that? What a freaking douchebag."

Stephanie and Savannah are both pacing back and forth in front of my bed while Megan remains still on my right. All of them are sporting raincoats. Stephanie in a yellow one with bright pink rain boots, Savannah in a blue one with her long hair slicked back in a high ponytail, and Megan in a green one with her light brown hair pulled back into a small braid. I probably look like a drowned rat compared to all of them with my still damp sweatshirt, untamed wet hair that I don't feel like brushing, red rimmed and blood shot eyes from crying, and a flushed nose and cheeks also from crying.

A little less than a half an hour ago Stephanie found me in my pathetic curled up state in front of the building and brought me back up to our dorm. She then called Megan and Savannah, in which they both came rushing in a few minutes later with a huge bag of starbursts and dumped it on the bed in front of me. After I gave them all a brief run through of what happened they all began their ranting while I stayed and still remain on my bed, silently watching.

"I mean I don't even understand, like, why would he even say that?" Stephanie asks throwing her hands up in the air as she walks.

"Because he's an asshole—that's why," Savannah answers unzipping her jacket in one swift fluid motion.

"But it doesn't make sense. I saw the way he looked at her. You can tell he liked her!" Stephanie continues.

"He still probably does," Megan says, but Savannah and Steph are oblivious to it.

"Why the hell are guys so insecure when it comes to girls? Like, why can't they admit to their friends that they actually like one?" Savannah asks crossing her arms as she walks one way and then uncrossing them as she walks another.

"Yeah! Instead they have to act like freaking dicks who say they go around screwing everything with a pulse," Steph says running a hand through her curls that still look perfect even though she went out in the rain.

"Guys can be such asshats," Megan mumbles then out of nowhere Stephanie and Savannah halt their pacing and all their gazes turn to me. I already know it's because I haven't said a word this whole time which is ironic considering I'm the one who should be ranting the most.

"Sorry," I squeak clearing my clogged throat. "I'm still in the denial stage just give me like five minutes and I'll be yelling along with you." Once I finish my sentence all their faces seem to soften.

"I'm really sorry, Lacie," Megan says as her gaze casts down to my comforter and Stephanie and Savannah nod as if to say the same thing.

I shake my head and stare at the rain drops on my jeans as I swipe a finger under my nose. "It's not your fault."

I reach over and rip open the bag of starbursts, peel open a pink one, and pop it into my mouth. As I decide to slowly suck on the chewy candy instead of chewing it, I feel my hip vibrate. I look down at myself confused before reaching into my sweatshirt pocket and pulling out my cell phone. Seeing Red Velvet splayed across the screen, I feel my fingers tighten around the edges before I quickly end the call and shut my phone off, slamming it down on my nightstand.

"Alright," I say with my mouth still half full with candy. "He's an asshole."

Stephanie grins. "Damn right he is! Say it again!" I swallow my starburst and turn back to all of them.