Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty -One

I shift in the bed trying to pull the blankets up higher, but they don't budge as if something's holding them down. I squint, refusing to open my eyes up all the way to see what is restricting them, but then my eyes go wide, practically popping out of their sockets, when I see a tan chest right in front of me. Trent.

Butterflies flutter around in the pit of my stomach as I recall the events of last night, but then feeling tension in my gut I remember the reason I woke up—my bladder.

I slowly slide my hands away, untangling them from him and move back just a centimeter not wanting to wake him up. Holding my breath, I pull back just a little bit more before he abruptly yanks me back to him, so I'm once again flush against his chest. I bite my lip and count to three before trying again. Slowly...slowly. I get a good ten inches away from him, the tips of his fingers just moments away from falling away from my hips, but just when I think I'm going to be able to slide out he pulls me back to him and secures his arms back around my waist.

"Trent," I squeak, but his eyes are still closed and I just watch as his chest continues to move up and down with his breathing. I clear my throat, "Trent, I have to pee."  I feel his grip around me tighten, leaving my bladder to scream, and I bite my lip to hold back a whimper. "Trent, please." I put a hand on his arm and twist my torso in attempt to turn around, but he just turns me back around to face him. My toes begin to wiggle and I feel like a little kid doing the potty dance. "Trent, I really have to pee."  Just as the words leave my mouth, Trent rolls us over so he's on top of me, and buries his face into the crook of my neck.

"No more running," he mumbles and I feel my body going rigid beneath him. Not only am I trying to hold in my pee, but I'm also a little stunned by his words. No more running. "Promise me?" he whispers lowly, his lips brushing up against my ear and just like that I relax again. My shoulders slump back down as I release the breath I was holding.

I never realized how much I really run and I'm not talking about my daily jogs around campus.

I guess it's just a habit really, a habit that never occurred to me until Trent pointed it out that day a few weeks ago. It's just my normal response.

Whenever adrenaline kicks in my body's initial reaction is to run—as far away as possible, without turning back. But even when I'm not under the influence of adrenaline, even when it's just me being nervous over meaningless things, I tend to just...flee.

I reach up, placing a hand on Trent's chest, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. No matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll be able to run from him anymore. 

"I promise," I whisper and after a second I feel his lips curve up into a slow smile against my neck. Then before I know it he's back rolling over onto his back, but ends up tumbling off the bed and taking me down with him. He breaks my fall as we land with a thud against the ground. Now I'm on top of him, and I spread my hands against his chest for support. "What the—" I start, but he cuts me off by firmly pressing his lips to mine, in one solid kiss as if sealing our deal. Then he drops his head back down against the floor, grinning up at me with sleepy eyes.  I shake my head at him, but find myself smiling back.

"Ah—the love birds are back," Zack announces cheerfully, walking into the room, and I feel my cheeks beginning to glow red.

"Hey, man," Trent says unaffected and sits up, taking me with him. He pulls my legs over his lap cradling me to him while leaning his back against the bed.  "You could've slept in here. We didn't do anything."  He cranes his neck to look over at Zack while I lean my head on his shoulder.