Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Reaching down, I slip my black converse over my feet and quickly lace up the laces. Once I'm satisfied with the knots I stand up from my position at the end of my bed and end up locking eyes with myself in the mirror hanging on the wall in front of me. However instead of seeing the sullen expression I've been wearing the past couple of weeks my eyes seem to be sparkling, the green more prominently outshining the brown. I blink my eyes a few times making sure I'm seeing right, but when they continue to twinkle back at me I find a small smile working its way onto my lips.

Isn't it crazy how one person can change your life?

How all it takes is a chance encounter and all of a sudden you see the world differently?

Your perspective on things becomes just a bit clearer and the path you seem to be on shines just a bit brighter.

Now I know that sounds completely and utterly cliché. And I know it seems like I'm only saying this because of a four letter word. A four letter word that still feels unfamiliar when it falls from my lips.

But take that out of the equation. What do you have left?

Two people who had a chance encounter, then somehow had another, and after that the attraction was definitely there, but I most certainly wouldn't call it an instant love.

It was a process.

They starting talking and got to know each other. They revealed parts of each other, piece by piece, and with each piece came a friendship. So it never was solely about the attraction, but rather the opposite. They fell for each other from the inside out, for who they are as individuals, instead of from the outside in.

Now of course it wasn't always perfect. They had their fall out. But do you know the best part of falling out?

Falling back in.

I glance to my left seeing the sun shining in through the window and my smile seems to grow even bigger. I look back at myself in the mirror one more time, assessing my jean capris and light pink top with lace short sleeves, before picking my notebook up off my bed and slipping my cross body bag over my shoulder.

I leave my dorm and then stepping out of the building, I'm greeted by a cool breeze that blows blonde strands of hair into my eyes and over my lips. However instead of getting annoyed and quickly brushing them away, I find another smile forming on my lips as my hair continues to carelessly whip around my face.

You see I don't think it necessarily has to be someone you're attracted to in the physically kind of sense. It could just be a person you meet. Someone who gets to know you and embraces all you have to offer. Your good and your bad, your perfections and imperfections. Everything that makes you—you.

And even on those average days, at those average times, just the thought of them manages to... make you smile.

****

"Ooh, come' on, come' on." Trent excitedly drags me across the lawn as we move farther and farther away from the building I just exited from.

I stumble over my feet a bit seeing as I just sat watching my professor dissect a frog for an hour and a half while Trent continues to swiftly maneuver around people. I glance around at the beautiful day around as seeing people crowding the pathways and huddled together in various places on the lawn. It's weird to think that my freshman year of college is almost over. I feel like I've been here forever.

"Okay, right," Trent drags out the word until we stop in front of a picnic table. "Here," He drops my hand and turns to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Stay right here."