CHAPTER TEN: AND MAYBE DO OTHER THINGS

I hope you know I don't take my shirt off for just anyone

"Sorry," I mumble to the girl who's holding the door open for me. It's usually a hit or miss when it comes to holding doors. I try to hold the door for other people because I don't like getting hit in the face, but today I almost missed the door because I was too busy staring at my phone.

I step outside after holding the door for the person behind me, but it takes me a few more steps to realize that I have this goofy smile on my face. It's not a full-blown, teeth showing smile, but rather the corners of lips are defying gravity as they reach for the blue sky above me.

I duck my head down and go out of my way to step on a leaf before finally allowing myself to look at my phone again. I usually don't like walking with my face in my screen, but I can't help but respond to Trent's text.

Well I don't help just any drunk person

I hike my backpack higher up on my shoulder as I continue walking back to my dorm. It's the coldest day so far, and I'm wearing my black peacoat to prove it. The only problem is the material isn't very backpack friendly. I have to put more effort in keeping my bag straps at comfortable positions around my shoulders.

Once I'm back in my dorm I let everything fall from me. My backpack, my coat, and my shoes. I even trade my jeans in for some yoga pants, but I keep my thin purple sweater on. While I should settle in at my desk and attempt to get some work done, I opt for my bed instead. That's when another text finally floats in.

I'm really sorry. I just wanted to shut my brain off.

My fingers hover over my phone screen before I finally begin typing a reply.

I don't like to drink, but I know the feeling.

I spend a few minutes aimlessly scrolling and even laughing at a few funny videos both my little sister and Stephanie sent me since the last time I was on my phone. Stephanie even reciprocates some of my laughing emojis before I get another text from Trent.

How do you shut your brain off then?

Sometimes all I have to do is scroll through my phone. I'll either end up neck deep in some funny videos or sped up hair tutorials depending on my mood. Today, it was funny videos, and I almost forget to reply to his text.

Idk watch a movie or take a nap.

Both those things are also true, and I even add a laughing emoji on the end of the sentence because those are the most generic things to do when you don't feel like being "you."

Stephanie gently opens the door, but then slams it closed behind her. "My professor needs to take the freaking stick out of his ass before next class otherwise I'm not going."

I sit up on my elbows. "What happened?"

"The usual," she grumbles as she tosses her backpack against her desk before jumping up on her bed. "I raise my hand because he asks for opinions and no one else likes to give them, yet no matter what I say he goes against it."

"I'm sorry," I say even though it's the lamest reply in the book.

"It's okay." She runs a hand through her hair. "It's just annoying because he makes me feel so stupid. Like, I know I can be stupid sometimes—"

"You're not stupid." My words are harsh, but it's only because I want her to hear them the same way I want my little sister to when she pulls a similar phrase.