Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

After speaking to my mom I decided to pack a small bag and head home for the day. I figured I could just stay overnight since I don't have any classes on Tuesdays and then come back Wednesday morning. It worked out because the second I drove away from campus I felt as if this big weight was lifted off my shoulders. All the pent up stress and heaviness I felt for the last few days just floated away and I could finally breathe.

It dulled the ache in my chest; an ache I didn't even realize was there until I left.

I spent most of the time watching movies, playing cards, and just hanging out with my family. Layla and I even had a campout in the living room like we used to do all the time when we were younger. We would move the coffee table over and lay out a bunch of pillows and blankets. Then we would stay up half the night eating popcorn and just talking about random things. It made me realize just how much I missed being home.

Luckily though spring break is only a few weeks away and I kept reminding myself of that fact as I pulled back up to campus. I let out a sigh, yank my keys out of the ignition, and reach behind me to grab my small duffle bag before getting out of the car. I would say my mind set is definitely more at ease than when I left, but that still doesn't keep the dread from seeping into my body as I edge closer and closer to my dorm.

Walking inside I toss my bag on my bed and flop down beside it. I glance over at the alarm clock on my nightstand, seeing its eleven o'clock which means I have to go to class in about an hour. 

Just then the door creaks open and I turn to see Stephanie poke her head in.

"Eek!" She squeals when she sees me and runs over, crushing me on top of the bed. "I'm so happy you're back!"

"S-Steph c-can't br-reathe," I squeak and she quickly sits up, relieving the pressure on my abdomen.

"I missed you." She smiles and I shake my head as I sit up.

"I was only gone for like twenty four hours."

"But I was lonely," she pouts and I laugh. "Oh, oh." She shakes my arm excitedly. "You know that weird, but cute guy from my intro to statistics class?"

"Yeah," I nod sitting up a little straighter.

"Well," She bites her lip, "I think we're going on a date."

My mouth drops. "No way!" She nods excitedly as a smile breaks out across her lips. "How did that happen?" I ask and she tilts her head to the side.

"Well..."

****

I slide my granola bar back and forth between my hands on the counter as I wait for my tea. It's now the late afternoon, so there's a good amount of people hanging around the student lounge. I glance towards the door as conversations flutter around my ears only to see a group of guys walking in laughing. Spotting a red and black flannel shirt and a backwards red baseball cap, I quickly whip my head back around.

Please don't see me, please don't see me.

The lady comes back with my drink and I quickly hand her my ID, while my eyes dart between the red baseball cap and the door.

"Here you go," the women says handing me my ID back and I send her a quick smile before quickly walking to the right side of the room, behind all the tables. I maneuver around chairs and backpacks as I try to make a quick escape. My eyes go back to the group of guys and in that exact second brown eyes lock with mine. Crap. I turn back around only to have someone abruptly pull back there chair, slamming it into my legs.