Chapter Three

Chapter Three

There's nothing like going for a run in the early hours of the morning. I wouldn't say I'm physically fit or anything and I'm not one to do sprints, but just the rush you get when your heart's pumping in sync with each step you take. Your music's blasting in your ears from your head phones and with each breath of the cool crisp morning air your worries become farther away, almost nonexistent.

Wanting to get back that heavenly feeling I decided to try and start jogging a few mornings around campus. Not only has it helped me get to know the campus a little better, but I also love watching the sunrise. I find it fascinating that each day the sun comes up, filling the sky with different colors, just for a few minutes before turning its normal blue hue. Each day its different just like every day is different.

I run around the corner of the stone science building, heading back to my dorm to get ready for my first class, only to smash into it. Then a white v-neck t-shirt fills my line of vision and a chuckle vibrates though it making me realize I smashed into a person.

"So this time you're actually running?" I look up unprepared to deal with the owner of bright green eyes this early in the morning.

"Hello to you too." I tease, but then take a step back remembering that I'm all sweaty.

"Do you run every morning?" Trent asks and I shrug.

"I try to, but I planning on just going on the days I have classes." Speaking of classes, I glance down at my phone seeing its seven thirty and I have to be by the English buildings for philosophy at eight.

"Well," Trent nods, "if you ever want a running buddy I'd be happy to tag along with you."

Then he takes the opportunity to drop his eyes down to my legs and decides to take his sweet time in dragging them back up. Once his eyes find mine again a lopsided grin tugs at his lips. I raise my brows at his shamelessness and decide to glance down at his own attire noting that a gym bag is settled in his right hand and my eyes seem to find the outline of a four pack through his white t-shirt. You've got to be kidding me. I quickly advert my eyes and shake my head not allowing myself to get distracted and shove my ear bud back in my ear.

"I don't think you need any more exercise, Red Velvet." I pat his stomach as I run past him not giving him time reply.

****

Walking into philosophy I see rows upon rows of wooden desks all layered on eight wooden risers that extend to the back of the room. A few people are already seated and I decide that sitting in the middle, but towards the front is probably my best option. Over dramatically, I slam my notebook down on the desk and plop down in the seat attached to it. Then leaning over into my cross body bag I check my phone and see its seven fifty-five.

"Is anyone sitting here?" A girl with fiery red hair asks gesturing to the desk on my right and when I shake my head she sits down and her friend sits beside her. I pull a pen out of my bag and run a hand through my hair before leaning my head in my hand. I click my pen a few times a little nervous before pretending to write my name on the desk.

"Hey there, Vanilla." My hair gets flicked behind my shoulder and my mouth drops.

"What are you doing here?" I blurt out and Trent chuckles sitting in the seat behind me.

His eyes dance in amusement as he taps his pencil against the desk. "Why, I'm here for philosophy of course."

I internally roll my eyes. "I know that, but—"

"Good morning, everyone." The bellow of a greeting has me swiveling around in my seat and I take notice of the fact that the lecture hall is now practically full. "I'm Professor Collins. I'm assuming you've all read the course syllabus I sent to your emails." He sends a look around the room as if waiting for any objections, but when he doesn't receive any he claps his hands with a smile. "Okay, great. Let's begin then, shall we?"