024

Chapter Twenty-Four:
Rest In Peace

Reneé Trinity JacksonChicago, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

"He's dead!" Reneé screamed, she wailed as she fell to the bathroom floor. Tears rolling down her face, her heart ached. Her chest burned so much that she thought that she was about to die.

The bathroom door was slammed open as Reese ran over to comfort his older sister. He knew exactly what it was like to lose a close friend—a best friend, so he knew exactly what she was feeling. That aching pain in your chest and the thoughts that float around your head suffocate you.

He pulled her into his chest as she sobbed, her sobs were deep and painful. She cried for a while as her snot ran down her nose—her chest hurt so bad that she didn't even know if she'd survive. What was she supposed to do?

"Nene, go get dressed and I'm gon' take you to the hospital." Reese instructed before he helped her stand up and walked her to the bedroom.

He watched as his sister stumbled into the room, still sobbing before he walked down stairs to start the engine.

Reneé dragged her body she pulled on a tracksuit and some trainers. She didn't even bother to match, no colour co-ordination and her hair wasn't even brushed. This was very unlike her, she'd always looked neat and presentable but this was Koop.

Her first ever male friend.

Grabbing a tissue and blowing her nose, she groaned as she locked the door of the apartment and walked downstairs. Her body felt heavy and sluggish and she was struggling to cope with everything, mentally and emotionally.

The drive to the hospital was silent as the siblings didn't have anything to say. Reese understood how she felt while Reneé struggled with keeping it together. She'd only known him for 4 months but he'd made such in impact on the type of person she was and how she looked at life—it was impossible not to love Koop.

Reese stopped right at the door and let Reneé go inside the hospital by herself while he looked for some parking. Nodding her head to her brother, Reneé turned and walked inside the hospital.

-XX-

Every step felt like hell, she was back in this fucking hospital again for the third time in these four months. A part of her wished that she was the one who was dead instead—it was her fault that Koop had died. Had she not reacted the way she did , he wouldn't have had to save her.

After taking multiple deep breaths, Reneé walked towards his room before looking through the glass to see who was inside. Lisa and Cash stood there as Lisa cried into his chest. Her cries could be heard even from the outside.

Renee pushed the door open and walked inside, she stared at his body and could see that all the colour he used to have was now gone. His lips weren't pink anymore, his under eyes weren't dark anymore and skin wasn't lightskin, he was slowly turning pale.

She ignored all that was happening around her as she just watched him. As she just watched someone who used to make her cry with laughter just lay there—dead.

A single tear rolled down her cheek as she took a few, meek steps towards him before she grabbed his cold hand and kissed it for the last time ever.

My poor friend. Reneé thought to herself, she couldn't deal with it. No more joking around and no more advice.

Right now, Reneé wished that she hadn't complained when she'd gone to give him his keys. After all, she hadn't known that it would be the last time that he'd ever forget them.

"Rest in peace, baby boy." She whispered, "I loved you just the way you were and I'll make sure that Jalen is all good, you know I got you and your people right?" She continued before placing his hand back down.

As she turned around to face Lisa and Cash, she saw a gun aimed right at her head and the man holding it was Cameron. His eyes were bloodshot red as he pointed it at her, you could tell he'd been crying because of how puffy they were and his hands were shaky.

Reneé sighed deeply before just staring at the barrel, she didn't want to fight it anymore. She was tired of fighting death all time but now way was she going to go down looking like a pussy.

"What the fuck are you doing, Cameron?" Lisa shouted at him as Cash held her back.

"Nigga, put the gun down. You don't wanna do sum' that you're gonna regret." Cash said calmly, there was no point in shouting, it would overwhelm him. Although he thought that killing Reneé was wrong, he was loyal to Cameron and no one else.

Reneé felt herself suddenly get scared, what if he really shot her?

"Ion like snakey bitches." Cameron said, he wasn't shouting like before, this time he was clam and collected. And that scared the shit out of Reneé. "I love you Reneé but you killed my closest nigga."

"I let you in and you hurt my peoples."

Cameron put his finger on the trigger and Reneé shut her eyes tightly—praying that God would give her another chance at life.

She wouldn't be foolish enough to fuck around with niggas in gangs. Niggas that were clearly fighting demons in their heads. Men that were so traumatised that every thing they saw had to be questioned. Niggas with such bad trust issues that they were even willing to kill their own lovers, their own soulmates just from suspicion.

Right. Cameron was going to kill Reneé just because he was suspicious and even if he found out he was wrong, would he apologise and try to do her right? Of course not, niggas like this never apologised, they had too much pride.

While her eyes were shut, Renee's phone began ringing and her ringtone filled the whole room. Her ringtone was 'Pride' by Kendrick Lamar.

Love's gonna get you killed
But pride's gonna be the death of you, and you and me

The music played loudly as Reneé held her breath and prayed to God even faster, she knew her mama wouldn't be happy to see her so early on.

Bang! Bang!

Two gunshots pierced the silence as screams filled the room.

Renee's eyes shot open to see Cameron falling down to the floor with a wound on his chest and behind him was her baby brother, Reese who was holding a glock.

Before she could even move to hug him, Reneé glanced down at her chest to see blood leaking from her stomach, and she could now feel the pain as it spread across her body, causing her knees to give out. Just as she was about to drop right into Cameron's body, Reese caught her and held her up tightly as nurses and police officers rushed in.

The last thing she remembered seeing was her brother being ripped away from her and being put in cuffs before she blacked out.

In that moment, she wished that she'd never moved to Chicago. Some dreams simply weren't meant to be chased.