Chapter Five

Word Count:  4509

Adrien's PoV:

Marinette led me into the bakery, offering me some pastries. I had seen pictures of their pastries before, but I had a strict diet to follow. So, even though it hurt in my soul, I had to decline.

"Your loss," Marinette said, grabbing a finished batch of batter from the huge refrigerator in the back of the bakery and rolled it up into a Croissant, throwing a total of four Croissants into the oven.

All of their shelves were empty. I mean, it made sense. They weren't open, and I doubted they planned on opening since their daughter was supposed to get married. But clearly they had worked ahead, finishing up some batter and Marinette knew that. Of course she knew that, she lived here.

But it still amazed me. Not the preparations, but that Marinette made her own food. My parents barely even let me enter the kitchen. Only if I were to help my Maman cook, which barely happened.

If they weren't home for some reasons, my mother made sure we had a chef to cook for me. If I wanted anything, my parents got it for me. I never had to work to get anything I desired. And on top of that, I myself made quite the good amount of money by just having some photos taken of me.

I couldn't imagine working as anything else. Being a model was easy, I just had to look good and pose and suddenly they handed me a hell lot of money. And my parents even profited from it as well.

But this, working at a bakery, baking a bunch of different pastries for hours, daily, I could never imagine myself doing that. Luckily, I didn't have to.

We waited, and waited for these Croissants to get done. It felt like hours, but I knew it wasn't. Marinette didn't even look at me this whole time. We hadn't exchanged a single word.

The little alarm thingy on the oven went off, and Marinette immediately jumped off the counter to get the Croissants out. I watched in fascination as she didn't even burn herself. I for sure would have burnt both of my arms until they crumbled off, like ash flying through the wind.

"You sure you don't want one?" Marinette's sweet voice then filled my ears. She looked at me with these bright bell-blue eyes, hopeful. It was like she was staring right into my soul, reading me as if she knew me like the back of her hand.

I sure wanted one. Hell, I would give anything to eat anything but salad and fruits, sometimes some pieces of specific, unmarinated and mostly unseasoned meat. But never any sugars really. Maybe once a week I could sneak some of the snacks they provide at shoots with me.

"You have a diet to follow, don't you?" She chuckled. Like I said, she was reading me like the back of her hand. Or maybe she was just smart enough to know that.

"Yeah." I sighed, bobbing my head.

"Don't you ever just have a cheat-day, Mister Model?" Mister Model.

"Not really," I answered truthfully. "My parents are watching me almost all day. There is never a chance to sneak something in."

Marinette gasped, her face softening right after, though. "Well, good thing you got married to a bakers daughter," she laughed. I loved her laugh. It was so sweet, so adorable. And for some reasons pretty quickly turned into my favourite laughter to listen to.

She put one of the still smoking hot Croissants on a plate, then took another one, laying one onto it. Before I could even comprehend what was happening, Marinette held one plate out for me.

"Not that I care, but I think you should really have one," she said. "Your parents aren't watching you here." She winked. She winked... at me.