005-a little secret

"What d'you care what a bad old pile of shit like him says about your dad?" Chris asked while trying to comfort Teddy.

"He still stormed the beach in Normandy, right?" I asked him also trying to comfort him.

"He did it." Teddy confirmed his head down.

"You think that pile of shit was at Normandy?" Gordie asked adding to our comforting.

"He did it, alright?" Teddy confirmed again.

"He knows nothing about your old man. He's just dogshit." Vern piped from in front.

"Whatever is between you and your old man. He can't change that!" Chris reassured him.

"Forget it! alright? Just forget it!" Teddy yelled. We all went quiet looking at each other nervously while walking along the train tracks until Vern started singing. We all gave him a look and his singing came to a stop.

"I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time." Teddy said as he stopped kicking some rocks.

"It's okay, it's okay Teddy" I told him stopping as well.

"I'm not sure it should be a good time." Gordie continued looking back.

"You saying you wanna go back?" Chris inquired looking at Gordie.

"No. But going to see a dead kid, maybe it shouldn't be a party." Gordie explained solemnly.

"Yeah, like if he's really bad like all cut up with blood and shit all over him; I might have nightmares!" Vern rambled.

"Come on, Vern." I said getting squeamish.

"You know like all guts and eyeballs . . . jumping around?" he continued. My body shivered at that image that popped up in my head.

"Shut up, Vern." Chris said looking at me shiver his arm wrapping around my shoulders.

"Can't help it, sorry." Vern said putting his head down.

It was about quarter to three, the sun beating down through the cracks of the trees. Vern and Teddy were up ahead while Chris, Gordie and I were bringing up the rear.

"Hey, I got some Winston's. Hawked them from my old man's dresser. One apiece for after supper." Chris told us excited.

"Yeah, that's cool." Gordie sighed.

"Yeah that's when a cigarette tastes best: after supper." Chris explained dreamily.

"Great. D'you guys think I'm weird?" Gordie asked abruptly.

"Definitely."

"Yeah"

"No guys, seriously. Am I weird?"

"Yeah. But so what; everybody is weird. You ready for school?" Chris questioned. I had seen a pretty rock and stopped to pick it up admiring it. Gordie and Chris kept walking and I thought I'd give them space to talk while I got lost in my own thoughts.

Chris's POV:
"It's not gonna be like grammar-school, that's why. You're taking your college-courses and me Teddy and Vern will all be in the shop-courses with all the rest of the retards making ashtrays and birdhouses. You gonna meet a lot of new guys. Smart guys." I told Gordie.

"Meet a lot of pussies is what you mean." he replied firmly not meeting my gaze.

"No man. Don't say that, don't even think that."

"Not going to meet a lot of pussies, forget it!" Gordie exclaimed.

"Well then you're an asshole!" I scolded him.

"What's asshole about wanting to be with your friends?" Gordie asked getting upset.

"It's asshole if your friends drag you down! You hang with us guys, you'll be just another wise guys with shit for brains." I said sternly. "You could be a real writer someday, Gordie."

"Fuck writing! I don't wanna be a writer! It's stupid! It's a stupid wasted time!" he cried stopping to look at me.

"That's your dad talking." I said looking directly at him.

"Bullshit." he spat.

"Bulltrue. I know how your dad feels about you, he doesn't give a shit about you. Denny was the one he cared about, and don't try to tell me different! You're just a kid, Gordie." I explained. Gordie could be something one day, if only he could see it.

"Oh gee, thanks, dad!" he replied sarcastically.

"Wish the hell I was your dad. You wouldn't be going around talking about taking these stupid shop-courses if I was. It's like God gave you something, man. All those stories that you can make up. An' he said: This is what we got for you, kid, try not to lose it. But kids lose everything unless there's someone there to look after them. And if your parents are too fucked up to do it then maybe I should." he just stared at me and looked down hopefully thinking over what I said.

About five minutes later he spoke up again, but not about what I expected.

"So, ummm you and Nancy, huh?"

"What-" I said confused.

"We all see the way you look at each other Chris, its obvious" he told me smiling.

"There's nothing man. We're best friends" I told him my cheeks turning a light pink.

"Are you sure Chris?" Gordie questioned. I guess I could tell Gordie about my little dilemma, so what the heck.

"No, I'm not Gordie. I mean she's real pretty and all but I don't think she likes me like that"

Gordie looked at me and starting smiling to himself. "I mean it looks like she does man. Maybe see how the trip goes" he said shrugging and then turning his head around to where Nancy was carrying what looked like a rock in her hand.

Nancy's POV:
Gordie and Chris had looked back at me so I smiled at them. Seeing as they were done talking I caught up with them.

"Come on you guys, let's get moving!" Vern called from ahead.

"Yeah. By time we get there the kid won't even be dead anymore!" Teddy joked.

We just looked at each other and started moving faster.

Word Count: 950
Authors note: thank you for 100 reads!!