011- Aftermath

TW- mentions of abuse
-
We had just pulled into the driveway after dropping Eyeball and the others off, I took a deep breath and opened the car door stepping onto the driveway, then to the porch opening the front door. The house was eerily quiet and as I stepped into the living room I saw my dad on the couch alcohol in hand.

"Where you been honey?"

I took another deep breath, swallowing hard. "I- I- was ummm"

"Spit it out girl, come on. I know you got a mouth on you"

I was scared. I didn't know what to say or if I would say the right thing. The front door opened and Ace entered the room making his way to the kitchen watching the scene unfold.

"Well? I don't got all day"

"I was with friends" I finally utter out my eyes darting between Ace and our dad. I was hoping he would help me out even though the chances were slim to none.

"What friends? Where exactly have you been?! Look at you, you're a mess" he said standing up and making his way over to me. I slowly backed up into the wall. I didn't say anything as leaned down so we were eye to eye, his breath smelt of alcohol and cigarettes. "Let's get something straight, you are to not leave this house unless its for school or with Ace and you got lots of shit to do around the house so I expect it done. Got it?"

I nodded. "How long?" I stupidly asked. He straightened his back and took a good look at me. I started to move along the wall to the stairs but was stopped by a slap.

"When I fucking tell you, you spoiled brat" he turned back to the couch and picked up another bottle. I quickly ran upstairs to my room, shutting the door and falling back on it slowly sliding down to the ground. Tears were forming in my eyes but I quickly wiped them away.

I stayed like that for a while, the house becoming quiet. Then a light tap was heard on my window so I slowly got up and walked over to it. I struggled to pull it up but when I did I was face to face with a blonde boy, Chris. I stuck out my hand for him to grab and lead him into the room. I returned to the window to close it and turned around to find Chris sitting on my bed my book in his hand. I grabbed it and put it on my side table.

"Any reason for this surprise visit?" I asked sitting down beside him. We both turned our head so our faces were inches apart.

"Ummm I guess I'm a little nervous about school tomorrow and my dad is pretty upset about me not being at home" he replied scratching his neck. I could see a couple of red spots on his skin.

"I'm sorry Chris" I gave him a side hug. "Our parents really suck don't they" we both laughed. That's something him and I have in common, horrible dads and mean brothers. Ever since we met we always knew we would take care of each other no matter what happend with our parents. "School will be fine, I know it will be nice to get out of the house since I'm now grounded"

"I'm sorry Nancy" he said, his hands rubbing back and forth on his pants.

"No need to apologize" I sighed. "What classes you got?"

"English, history, french and arithmetic. You?"

"Science, history, art and arithmetic, so two out of four with you" I replied with a small smile. I looked over at Chris and our eyes met. I shifted my position on the bed so I was sitting criss cross. He looked like he was deciding on something the wheels turning in his head. A moment passed and he leaned closer and our lips connected. I pulled away, both our cheeks red.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I thought- nevermind that was so stupid" Chris started rambling as he stood pacing back and forth around my room. It took me a few minutes before I fully realised what happened. He kissed me and I didn't kiss him back. All I wanted just happened and I blew it. Why did I pull away? At that moment everything came back into focus. Chris had stopped rambling and was sitting on my bed head in his hands.

"I'll leave if you want me to" I heard him mumble. I moved back over to sit beside him again.

"No, no it's alright I was just... surprised is all" he abruptly stood up, and walked back to the window.

"Don't tell anyone please" he whispered, voice breaking and he left without another word. I ran to the window and saw him walking away down the street. I returned to my bed and slid under the covers pulling them up high. A flood of tears then escaped and all emotions I had from the past few days just came out.