012- School

The next morning was horrible. Nothing was going right. It was just one of those days and I was not having it. One of my socks had a hole, I dropped my hairbrush on my foot, my shirt got caught on the door and my breakfast was burnt. Ace drove me to school and we arrived just as the bell rung. I quickly got out of the car and ran inside. As I was dashing through the halls to class I bumped into someone. All my stuff fell and I looked up to see our principal, Mrs. Williams making her rounds through the halls. She yanked my arm up and practically dragged me to class. The door to my science class opened and everyone turned to stare at me.

"I presume you're missing a student, Mr. Roberts" Mrs. Williams stated as the teacher nodded.

"Yes, Miss. Merrill correct?" I nodded. "Let's hope you aren't like your brother, come sit between Michael and Lisa" he said pointing to an empty desk. Embarrassed I walked over and sat down as the door closed. I hate when people compare me to Ace like I'm a different person you know.

After science class I headed over to the history classroom. I could already feel it was gonna be awkward when I stepped into the room and saw Chris and Gordie talking. Chris's eyes momentarily landed on me but he quickly looked away. I was about to find a desk at the opposite side of the room when Gordie called my name.

"Nancy! Come sit over here" I hesitated but gave in and sat down beside Gordie not making eye contact with Chris. The teacher entered and the class went by pretty quick and I was glad.

During lunch I decided to sit on my own and read a book. Today I planned on continuing Dracula. Everything was nice and peaceful until I went for a walk. I really shouldn't have been surprised when I saw Ace and his gang beating kids around back. I couldn't tell who it was so I thought I shouldn't get involved and turned back the other way.

Chris POV:

I couldn't stop thinking about last night. During english I didn't hear anything the teacher said. Gordie kept poking me anytime I zoned out. Turns out taking some of the college courses wasn't a bad idea even though the teachers seemed to keep looking at me. Gordie and I had 3 classes together; english, history and math. After class we headed to history and sat down by the windows at the back. Gordie was going on about another story he thought of last night. Last night. What an idiot I am. My eyes then strayed over to the girl who entered the classroom. Nancy's eyes met mine for a second then I quickly looked away embarrassed. I took another quick glance and watched her walk over to a desk on the opposite side of the room. I guess Gordie noticed her too and invited her to sit with us.

She never looked at me once during class. She quickly got up and left for lunch the book she had on her bed last night in hand. Dracula. I never understood how she could read horror books. Gordie and I found a spot outside to sit and eat.

"You seen Teddy and Vern recently?" Goride asked taking a bite from his apple.

"No not yet" I replied fiddling with my shoelace. I forgot to bring a lunch.

"Yeah, I guess because there in shop courses" Gordie sighed. "Want half of my sandwich?"

I shook my head. "No thanks" We sat there in silence the sound of other kids laughing and talking around us. When Gordie returned from throwing out garbage he looked at me and I could just tell he knew something was up.

"Wanna go find Nancy?" he asked. I shook my head. "Chris what's wrong?" I didn't answer. "Chris you can tell me anything, I swear I won't tell anyone"

I sighed and gave in. I could trust Gordie and he would hopefully help me. "I did something stupid Gordo"

"Can't be that bad" he said his face waiting for more.

"Well I uhhh kissed Nancy last night" phewww. Feels could to get that off my chest, I don't like keeping secrets from Gordie.

"Woah! What's so bad about that??" he exclaimed shaking me playfully.

"She didn't kiss me back" I replied lowering my head. He was silent for a second.

"Well, what did she say after?"

"Uhhh she said she was surprised? Then I kinda just left and told her not to tell anyone"

"Oh Chris I'm really sorry I thought-"

"It's fine Gordie" I said cutting him off and standing. He followed me as we walked around the school. When we realised we were near where Ace and his gang liked to pick on kids including us we quickly turned around but were met with people.

"Well, well, well boys. Come for your first payment?" Ace said with a sinister smile. The whole gang backed us into the wall and started beating the living shit out of us. I thought I had heard footsteps coming closer but eventually they faded away.