015- School Dance

Getting ready was stressful. Not having a mother figure was heavily impacting the primping process. The dance was suppose to start at 8 and it was currently 7:30. Chris and Gordie were meeting me there. I had the dress and shoes on and was trying to figure out what to do with my hair. There then came a knock on my door.

"Come in"

"Don't you look all dolled up Nancy"

"That's kinda the point Ace. Do you need something?"

He leaned against the doorframe. "Who you going with?"

"Does it matter??" I said rolling my eyes continuing with finishing my hair.

"Yeah it kinda does. It's the Chambers kid isn't it? You know he's not good for you"

"Ace stop. I really could care less what you think about who I date!" I replied angrily.

"Dating, huh?" he said smirking.

"You weren't supposed to know that yet" I muttered packing up my bag. "You can't say anything to anyone yet, ok"

"Yeah sure." I was about to walk out my door when he stepped in front of me. "But you owe me, got it?".

I sighed. "Fine yes, now move". He slowly moved out of the way. I walked out the door and started down the stairs.

"Hey Nancy, you need a ride?" Ace called from behind me.
-
Ace drove me to the school and said he'd pick me up at 10. As I walked through the doors I stopped and took a deep breath. I could hear the faint sound of the music in the gymnasium. Currently playing was Come Go With Me by The Del-Vikings. When I entered the room I saw a bunch of people dancing, a little food and drink table with juice and lots of chips and cookies and adults lining the walls probably making sure there was no funny business.

"Hi Nancy" I turned around and was greeted by Chris looking as handsome as ever in a suit.

"Hey Chris" I replied blushing.

"Care to dance?" he said holding out his hand.

"I don't know I can't really dance"

"It's alright just follow my lead" he smiled and grabbed my hand pulling me out to the dance floor. He guided me through the dancing and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

"See you're doing fine" Chris said smiling. "You look real pretty tonight. I'm glad you decided to come".

"I'm glad I came tonight too Chris" I replied looking into his eyes. We stood there for a moment lost in each other, when our lips connected it was like we were the only ones in the room.

"Would you look at this, Chambers and Merrill finally got together"

We split apart and looked at Teddy. I hadn't seen him in a good month.

"Surprised you came to this thing" I told him. To his right Vern was looking awkwardly around the room.

"Hey Vern!"

"Oh uhh Hello Nancy, I'm gonna go over there" he said hurrying away.

"What's up with him?" Chris asked.

"Got no idea. Think he's nervous ever since his brothers started scaring him" Chris and I both looked at each other and a silence fell over us.

"You seen Gordie around?" I asked stopping the awkwardness.

"Yeah think he's dancing with some girl. Can't believe Gordie has a date. Anyways nice seeing you pieces of shit" he said smirking, walking away into the crowd. I turned back to Chris.

"I need a drink".
-
An hour had gone by and we had found Gordie. He was in fact dancing with a girl but she had left a few minutes ago to hang out with her friends.

"So Gordie how's the dance going?" I asked him grinning.

He started blushing. "It was fine, she was kinda overbearing"

I gave Gordie a look. "What's wrong with being overbearing?" Chris asked laughing.

"Oh, nothing, nothing just... I don't know not my thing?" We all started laughing.

"Does anyone know the time?" I asked taking off my shoes. They were killing me.

"Quarter to ten" Gordie answered.

"Shit, Ace is gonna be here in like 10 minutes. I don't wanna leave" I whined dramatically sitting down on a chair.

"Did Nance just say she didn't want to leave a dance?" Chris replied in a mocking tone. I blushed.

"Don't really wanna leave you actually" I smiled as he placed his lips on mine.

"Gross, I'll see you guys later" I heard Gordie say as our lips broke apart. We both smiled at each other not wanting the night to end.

"I really do have to go though"

"Alright, I'll walk you out" Chris said holding my hand as we walked out the front doors. Ace was obviously there waiting in the car smoking a cigarette.

"Come on we got to get home!" he called at me. I gave Chris a quick kiss on the lips and started jogging to the car. Once I climbed in my brother called out to Chris.

"If you don't treat her right I'll murder you, got it Chambers?"

"Yes sir" Chris called back, then we drove off back home. Chris and I watched each other until we were both out of sight.

Once we arrived home our dad was waiting for us on the recliner. I could tell we were both going to get in a shit load of trouble for disobeying orders. But I couldn't care less. I got to spend the evening with Chris Chambers and it was perfect.