006- the ULTIMATE train dodge

We had made it to a bridge that the train tracks continued on over a river. The forest continued on the other side and there was a slight breeze.

"Any of you guys know when the next train is due?" I asked looking behind me.

"No, but we could go down to the route-136-bridge." Chris answered shrugging.

"What, are you crazy? That's five miles down the river. You walk five miles down the river you gotta walk five miles back. That could take till dark. If we all go across here we'll get to the same place in ten minutes." Teddy explained his hands flailing as he spoke.

"Yeah. But if a train comes there's nowhere to go." Vern said nervously.

"Well, there isn't? You just jump." Teddy said like it was no big deal. I looked at Chris worried.

"Teddy that's a hundred feet." Chris said looking from me to Teddy.

"Okay. You guys can go round if you want. I'm crossing here. And while you guys are dragging your candy-asses half way across the state and back I'll be waiting for you on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts." Teddy said smugly taking a step forward.

"You use your left hand or your right hand for that?" Gordie said jokingly. We tried to hold in our laughs as Teddy replied;

"You wish."

We started walking towards the bridge, Teddy in front Chris and I next, Vern and then Gordie. Before fully getting onto the bridge a hand was extended out to me to grab, so I grabbed the boy's hand for the third time that day. I looked up at the same time Chris did and we both smiled.

I took it one step at a time occasionally looking through the cracks in the tracks while Chris's hand guided me along. The three of us had almost made it across when Gordie yelled "TRAIN". Chris pulled me forward and we reached the other end. We turned and saw Gordie and Vern slowly making there way along due to Vern crawling. Chris squeezed my hand due to nervousness or reassurance, I couldn't tell while yelling, telling them to hurry. The train had caught up with them and Gordie and Vern flew to the side just as the train passed. Once the train went by we went to the other side where they were on top of each other covered in dirt.

"Hey, at least now we know when the next train was due." Chris called down and I smiled, I mean it was kind of funny.

"Man. That was the ultimate train dodge. Too cool. Vern you were so scared you looked like the fat guy in Abbot and Costello the time he saw the mummy." Teddy said as we were helping the two up.

"I wasn't that scared!" Vern replied. We all gave Vern a look.

"No, really, I wasn't. Sincerely." he stated.

"Okay. Then you won't mind if we check the seats of your Jockeys for Hershey-squirts, will ya?" Gordie joked.

"Oh screw." Vern sighed.

We kept on going until we entered a deep forest area. We all decided we would camp here tonight since it was getting  close to dark.

Word count: 542
Authors note: this chapter is really short and i'm sorry i got lots of school to do but i'm hoping to write the next chapter asap.