027

Chapter Twenty-Seven:
Worse or Better

Cameron Hussain HudsonChicago, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

Sitting up from the white bed, he walked out to the bathroom and waited to be handed a toothbrush. He brushed his teeth, showered and got changed before going out to eat.

Glancing around, he saw many people that he felt like he didn't belong with. He'd been here for 5 months now with no hope of getting outside. His life was a constant repeat of waking up, eating and talking to Dr Hill.

He was slowly going crazy. Weirdly enough, his only escape was talking to her.

He didn't have any weed so he struggled to sleep at night. Every night, he'd see nightmares of all the people he'd killed in his past. All the niggas he's shot, all the things he'd done and it ate him up. Every act he'd committed ate him up and slowly, slowly he was losing himself.

Living in the projects was hard, all his brothers were in a gang and he didn't have any other choice but to join. Without a gang, he'd have been killed a long time ago because of the lack of protection. And in this world, he had to kill those men or they'd have killed him.

Kill or get killed. That was the code and he followed it.

Grabbing the tray full of food, he placed it down before trying to eat it. Cameron hadn't made any friends and he wasn't interested in socialising. All he wanted was to leave.

Memories of Koop, Tyquan and Wooski filled his mind, he couldn't breathe without thinking of them. He hadn't really gotten closure with any of his brothers because he'd shove the pain away and move on. That was how it was done in the streets. Nobody had time to cry.

Everything was so much harder now that he was sober. Cameron actually had to live with the pain with nothing to numb it. It felt suffocating.

-XX-

"And how did your oldest brother, Tyquan die?" Dr Hill asked as she grabbed a pen and sat down on a couch across from him.

Sighing, Cameron answered, "His girl told him to pop up to her crib real quick and I came with him, me and him was tight as fuck, you feel me? So boom, we get there, he tells me to wait inside." Cameron paused to rub his face before continuing, "I'm just chilling, I see big bro walking back to the car and I look up, before he opened the door, a nigga come out the house and gun him down."

"His girl set him up."

Dr Hill wrote some notes down.