Chapter 8

Faith stood by her new desk ready for the first day. Lindsay kissed Faith once more. "Bye, sweetie."

"Mom, I'm fine," Faith said with a little vigor in her voice. "Go. You're embarrassing me."

The other kids also pushed their parents away. She should leave before she had to make small talk with half of the people she graduated with and explain why she was in town.

Should she sneak to Nick's classroom? Would he be there? She waved once more and Faith rolled her eyes.

Lindsay entered the hallway filled with noise from all the classrooms. She headed down the hall. Nick moved classrooms since her time in school, but she spent half her life in these halls. She remembered the layout as if she last walked the halls yesterday instead of ten years.

She peeked in his room. He leaned on his desk, surveying the room, wearing a buttoned-down shirt and sedate green tie. His shoes were brown loafers, but the laces were a ridiculous shade of green. Unfortunately, he looked just as handsome dressed up as he did in jeans and flannel.

She knocked on the open door. "Mr. Matthews," she said, in a breathy voice.

His head snapped to her. When he focused on her face, a smile crossed his lips. "Lindsay. I didn't think I'd see you this morning."

"I would have spent the entire morning in first grade, but Faith shoved me out of the room."

"Aw, well you can stay here. I admit you'd distract me the entire time." He crooked his finger. "Quick, come here and kiss me before the bell rings."

"Then I'm going to job hunt, starting at the bank." She crossed the room and he pulled her close for a kiss.

She stepped back after their lips touched, but she tugged on his tie. "This is fancy for Carburg School. The shoelaces are a nice touch."

"I like to make an impression."

He did that, but her favorite way to have Nick was naked. She fought the urge to hide her face.

"You're blushing, Miss Miller. Are you thinking dirty thoughts this morning?"

"Of course not. I should go."

"One more kiss for good luck?" He pursed his lips.

She leaned in for a peck, but he caught her head and kissed her properly.

The bell rang and he sighed. "Okay, I guess that's over. Save those thoughts for later."

She shook her head. "Try to focus on your job. I'll text you to let you know how it went."

He grinned, making her heart swoon. "When I have your phone number, can I make booty calls?"

She was in deep now. The biggest problem was her enjoyment. Before she touched him again or his students entered, she headed for the door. "Have a good day."

"You too, sugar."

She stood in the hallway for a moment, watching the teenagers bustling around. If she remained pregnant, that child might be in these halls now. A blond girl whirled past her, Lindsay jumped back with a shiver.

She made the right choice. She couldn't imagine sticking in this town for the last decade. Even if her marriage was less than ideal, she gained experience. And experience taught her that she didn't want to stay in Carburg.

She exited the main doors and back to the heart of downtown. Her temporary job waited for her, the job that would be the gateway to leaving.

Lindsay entered the bank. She pushed her sunglasses on top of her head. The woman behind the counter narrowed her eyes momentarily then she smiled. "Lindsay Miller?" Lindsay didn't bother to correct to her married surname. She wasn't sure if she would keep it after the divorce.