Ring finger

Chapter 2

"Suppasit Jongcheveevat"

"Doc. Kana!" He was taken out of his reverie when someone hollered his name. He snaps his head in the direction of the person calling him and he sees a distressed Phana catching his breath as he walked briskly to Kana's side. Most of the medical staff was taken aback by how the senior has been acting but no one dares to scold.

"Doctor Phana breathe." He said in a calming manner.

"I was looking for you in the on-call room. I thought you changed your mind." Phana said anxiously.

"Don't worry Doctor Pha. I never break promises." He reassured. I only did once and now look how miserable I am.

"Good... good" The Doctor answered as if trying to reassure himself.

"What was this patient's connection to the owner of this hospital?" He asked curiously. He knew the branches of the family who owns the hospital but he never had learned that he was missing one of the family members. Hope blooms in his withered heart. He knew he shouldn't feel this way. He had been disappointed several times and each time, the intensity just grows more that it makes him feel numb.

"He was one of the heirs but he is aloof to almost everyone. Most of the family members do not want to give information about him."

He just hummed in acknowledgment of the personal information. He now knows why Phana looks like he will pass out when they had a talk earlier. This is why Doctor Phana almost had a panic attack when he asked me to scrub in. He clicked for the MRI of the patient and thoroughly examines it with Doctor Phana in case he needed a second opinion.

"His spleen doesn't look good." Doctor Phana commented.

"It seems like he has a massive internal bleeding." He added to Doctor Phana's comment. "We need to perform a splenectomy." He then decided. Doctor Phana gave him approval for the said surgery and both of them headed towards their locker area so he can change in his scrubs.

Before he can enter, Phana called his attention again and earnestly said "I'm genuinely sorry for passing you this task Doc. I'm not that confident enough of anyone than you to push this through."

"I'm glad you trust me enough Doc," Kana said with a polite smile. They both separated their ways as Kana went into the locker room and changes into his scrubs briskly while Doctor Phana went straight to the podium just above the ER which has glass walls so that he can oversee the surgery.

Kana emerges to the locker room and went to scrub in before he enters the operating room. A scrub-in nurse automatically welcomes him as he steps inside and helps him put the necessary clothing that is needed inside the surgery room.

"Doctor Bow will definitely bite your head off Doctor Tae for replacing her place." The anesthesiology, Doctor Kim, said teasingly.

Kana chuckled as others did while the nurse held a glove as he swiftly slid his left hand inside.

"I'll accept the consequences. It's an honor to be the first assistant of a celebrity Doctor." Tae replied lightly sending a wink to Doctor Kim.

They took their places on the surgery table and Kana caught something that made him stumble backward almost losing balance if it were not for the resident doctor, who will observe the surgery, that supported his side.

He heard gasps from almost everyone in the room. "Are you alright Doc?" Tae asked worriedly.

"Can you perform the surgery still Doctor Kanawut? We can't risk the patient." Doctor Kim asked straightly knowing that Kana had attended long hours of surgery just today and he might be overworking himself. She's afraid of any malpractice if their team's surgeon is absentmindedly doing the surgery.

Kana quickly balanced himself again and thank Doctor Tommy's help. He smiled reassuringly at Doctor Kim through his eyes.

"Don't worry; it was a moment of weakness. I'm back and please don't leak this to the media. I had enough." He said the last line comically to ease the tension building inside the operation room. It gained snorts from the other staff and Doctor Kim's eyes forms crinkle in its side to indicate a smile.

Then Kana confidently said; "we will perform a splenectomy on the patient, Suppasit Jongcheveevat. Let's do our best everyone."

"I'll start the anesthetics." Doctor Kim said and narrated the procedures and medicine she used on the patient while everyone in the room listened intently. As soon as she gave the cue to start the operation Doctor Kana said "knife" while extending his open palm.

After 2 and half hours, the surgery was announced successful.

"I can take it from here Doc." Doctor Tae offered.

The scrub nurse wipes the side of his head that was sweating.

"Thank you Doctor but I would like to finish this myself." He declines politely.

"Very well." Doctor Tae answered as Doctor Kanawut held an open palm to the scrub nurse who handed him the tools needed to wrap up the surgery.

"Cut." He said as he holds the remaining thread in his hand upwards after stitching the patient close.

"Good job everyone." Doctor Kana said as he steps aside and let the scrub nurse and anesthesiologist do their final touch so they can wheel the patient to his room. The phone inside the ER rings and an attending nurse holds it for Kana. The nurse brings the phone close to his ear as he steps closer and it was Doctor Phana on the other line. Kana peeks up to the glass wall podium hovering above the ER and he saw the doctor already looking in his direction.

"Dinner is on me. Hurry out Doc." Dr. Phana offered. Kana didn't miss the smile of relief the doctor has and this time, Kana knew he can't decline this offer.

He took a glance back at his patient. I have nothing to worry about. He nodded and he bid his goodbyes to the rest of the team making sure to remind them that if something happens out of the ordinary to the patient, they should call him right away.