House Doctor

Chapter 6

He comes back after getting the reheated congee he brought when he went for his drive-thru breakfast. Suppasit was smiling at him from ear to ear and he can't find it in his heart to just act all professional when he was trying so hard to talk at him casually while he feeds him. He learns that Suppasit requested the sunflowers from a nurse who did the rounds earlier because he feels that the room was too boring.

"Doc, I have a question I was meaning to ask last night." Suppasit started another conversation again.

"What is it?" Kana asks as he places the spoon on the bowl toy stirring the congee.

"Was there anyone who got in the accident I caused?" He asks worriedly. He seems to not get it off his chest. He needs to know if there were people he had dragged in the accident.

"Not really. You hit a street light and that was just it. By the way, is it true about you occasional vertigos?" Kana asks. He had read the findings earlier. It must be the nurse in charge who did the questioning.

"Yes, but most of the time it was bearable. What happened during the accident was..." He pauses thinking of the right word to say "intense?" Kana offered and he nods in agreement because Kana holds another spoonful up for him. He opens his mouth but Kana miscalculated the amount of food that should be in the spoon because some of the congee oozes from the side of Suppasit's mouth.

"Tsk! Such a messy eater." He teases unconsciously and he, out of old habit and nature, leans closely and reaches a hand to wipe it using his thumb. It was too late for him to realize what he just did. His smile faltered and he slowly looks up to see Suppasit intently looking at him.

With wide eyes and a thumping heart, he automatically stood up making a screeching sound from his chair "I'm – I... look its..." He was stumbling over his words and he feels that his body temperature just exceeded its normal heat.

"Hey, it's fine." Suppasit offers. He can clearly see how flustered the Doctor was and he tries to give him a reassuring smile. The Doctor stares at him for minutes and he saw that the panicked he had earlier had dissipated so he added teasingly but half meaningfully "Just don't do it to other patients."

"Gosh never!" Kana blurts out and the room instantly becomes quiet until Suppasit snorted and laughs breathlessly with an occasionally ouch when he feels his stitch stings a bit from laughing. Kana can't help but also laugh at his fail attempts to save himself from the embarrassment.

The laughter dies down soon when Kana's phone rings. He signals Suppasit that he'll answer it and the latter only nods.

He observes as Kana's eyes flash recognition upon seeing the caller's ID then he answered it with a crease on his forehead almost like a frown but he somehow knew that the Doctor did not anticipate the caller to call.

"What? You can't ask me to be your first assistant. Team up with other doctors. This hospital has plenty if you don't know that information." His serious face is really something. He can be quite intimidating. I wonder how many have to shiver with this sight? "Okay... make arrangements and don't just drag me around. You know I also had my upcoming surgeries scheduled."

Kana finishes the call without a goodbye and now he can feel eyes on him. He puts back his phone to his white coat and faces Suppasit. "I had an unforeseen schedule for today. I will let Dr. Phana or Dr. Bow do the dressing for you. After you finish eating, I have to go." He informs flatly and he looks so deep in his thought.

"It's okay. I feel full. Thanks, Doc." He said in a lively manner in hopes to lift the doctor's sour mood. Kana gave him a small smile then place the bowl on the tray. He then grabs a glass of water and helps Suppasit to drink it.

"I'll return for your lunch today. Just rest. See you." Kana said carrying the tray outside the room.

Kana was truthful in his words. The doctor went back for lunch and he feds Suppasit while telling him stories about the patient he had encountered and how Mild dragged him to be Mild's first assistant for surgery. He sounds so joyous and contented with how he speaks and Suppasit just listened attentively to his unending stories. Their time together was short-lived again by an emergency call. The good thing was that Suppasit has done eating already when they called but the bad thing was that Suppasit feels like he was given a cliffhanger excitement to hear more from Kana. From what he observes, Kana is not so keen to voice out his thoughts but when he does so, the man does not even have a filter in his mouth and this makes Suppasit feels a sense of satisfaction.

It was now almost dinnertime and Suppasit feels a bubble of anticipation for his doctor to come only to be burst by the unexpected visitors.

Kana had just finished another surgery. He steps out of the operating room leaving Bow to wrap everything up. When he had changed clothes and gathered Suppasit's food and water in a tray he heads to the V.I.P ward. When he opens the door he was greeted by the sight he did not come prepared for. I forgot that they were expected to be here around this time. If it were not for his tight grip on the tray he could have dropped it due to shock.

"Oh, Doc! Good evening." A woman in her elegant white dress greeted which he recognizes as Mrs. Jongchevevaat. "Good evening Dr. Kanawut." Mr. Jongchevevaat also greets him. Suppasit just uttered a "hey"

"Good evening Ma'am and Sir." He greets them politely with a little bow as he made his way to the table where he usually places Suppasit's food tray and gave Suppasit a curt nod.

"My son really did put you in a hassle to pick foods for him. I'm grateful tho." His mother said.

"It's not at a trouble Ma'am. By the way, he can be discharged tomorrow but he will still need assistance because of his surgery. He can't shower for 2 weeks. I will prescribe him antibiotics. He is recovering fast and his body is adapting so well." Kana explain to his parents.

"That's good to know. Anyway, I'm much honored that you choose to work here." His father who stood up and went to face him said extending a hand. Kana reaches for it to give a firm hold as they shook hands.

Mrs. Jongchevevaat seems to be thinking something and when their eyes meet. Kana can just hold his breath for anticipation and before he can brace himself Ms. Jongchevevaat spoke that shook him to the core.

"Doctor Kanawut, can you be Suppasit's house doctor for a month?"