Chapter 42

Walking out of the subway underneath Tokyo, I can't help but notice all the bustling activity and signs that glow with neon colors with traffic stirring up the cold winter air. People walk by with hurried steps or with those of lounging ones, everyone different, while the three of us, James, Azrael, and I, are with steps of wonder and awe, taking in the largest city on earth.

  Walking out of Shinjuku station, it's on our agenda to go eat some ramen with a friend of Azrael's. I think I caught the name as Kouta. Similar in pronunciation to Kota, but a little different. Azrael also said there's a U in the spelling after the O, so it makes sense.

  Azrael today is dressed in more relaxed clothing than his usual business suit. He wears a dark grey long-sleeve shirt, and on top of that a sweater of similar shade. On top of that and his dark brown pants is a navy-blue coat and seemingly just to be cute, or I think it is, a beanie with the puff on it. It's a dark red, more of wine or barberry.

  I have on similar clothes of different colors, without the beanie, while James has on a collared shirt with a pea-coat with a V-neck sweater.

  "It's much more busier here than in Hakone," I say to Azrael with as smile as we walk along the direction he leads us.

  "True," says Azrael, "but, it can't be helped. It's a bustling metropolis."

  "I can't wait to try ramen," says James excitedly, "I've heard so much about it."

  "Me too," I say, "or at least, from the internet."

  "You should be careful though," says Azrael, "from my experience, some ramen is very...abundant in oil, so sometimes I have trouble eating it."

  "I'll make sure to be careful," I say with a chuckle, "though the way you say it, it's almost as if ramen is dangerous."

  "Dangerously delicious," says Azrael with a smile.

  "Can't wait," I say again.

  "Well," says Azrael as he turns a little and heads to a building that, "perhaps you won't have to much, as we're here."

  Going inside, Azrael flaunts his Japanese skills, and talks to the waiter and greeting him. I think he says that he's expected by somebody, and the waiter nods in recollection, and gestures to a part of the restaurant which Azrael says something and then walks to.

  Walking along the counter that is the seating of the restaurant, Azrael walks toward a broad and heavy-set Asian man. He has burly arms and in the long-sleeve shirt he has on that is rolled up near his elbows, his short spiky black hair sticks out over his forehead, and his skin seems tanned.

  Hearing footsteps, he turns, and upon spotting Azrael he smiles.

  "Hey," says the man, Kouta, in English, "took you long enough."

  "Sorry," says Azrael, "I walked as fast as I could."

  "Brought some friends?" he asks as he nods to James and I with a smile.

  "Sure did," says Azrael as he sits down, and I sit on the other side of Azrael with James sitting next to Kouta.

  "I'm James," introduces himself to Kouta.

  "Kouta," replies Kouta with a smile, "what's your name?"

  "Hogarth," I say as I shake his hand.

  "Nice to meet you two, and I recall you're the assistant of Azrael's?" asks Kouta.

  He has a slight accent, but it's nothing to note or remember. And he has a partially flat nose, but it's not homely and he looks good. I still like Azrael better though.