xii

• third person •

Diluc didn't know why, but coming home to someone really comforted him inside.

Diluc had left the moment (Y/N) had fallen asleep, and it seemed he arrived back just in time so as for her to still be asleep. Diluc wasn't sure whether or not she was an early bird or a night owl, after all.

He tried his best to walk across the bedroom quietly, tiptoeing with each step until he reached one of his shelves. Almost silently he pulled out a first aid box off it, as if an owl sneakily catching its prey.

He crept towards the bed, slowly placing the green box onto the nightstand, quietly sitting beside where (Y/N) slept.

He couldn't help but watch her for a moment. Her breathing was slightly heavy as she slept, and she had the tendency to twitch every once in a while, not to mention the small amount of drool beneath her. Of course, Diluc didn't mind. She was even in his own clothes, larger than he expected on her, but...

She looked adorable.

Diluc turned away, rubbing his warm cheeks in embarrassment. He winced at the sudden movement of his arm, unconsciously cursing beneath his breath.

Diluc opened the first aid box, rummaging through it with the moonlight as his only light source. He eventually came upon a roll of bandages, his fingers wrapping around it as he pulled up his sleeve.

Working alone as the Darknight Hero had its consequences. Diluc practically bled out until he got home.

It wasn't even anything bad. Just the usual hilichurl camps wandering around near the city, with the occasional abyss mage.

Yet, for some reason today he was... distracted... constantly. He constantly had to pull himself back to reality and left himself more vulnerable than he ever had before.

Diluc cleaned his wound, his eyes narrowing in pain. He quickly bandaged it, tying it tightly but just enough so that his arm could breathe. He heaved out a sigh.

Unexpectedly, a loud shuffle erupted behind him. Diluc blinked.

"Ugh..." he heard a low murmur.

Diluc's eyes widened. Suddenly the first aid box was on the floor with a thud. He kicked it under the bed.

He could feel the bedsheets being tugged at beneath him.

"Ah..." he covered his bandaged arm with his sleeve, "good morning."

Slowly, he turned slightly, to find a (Y/N) who was blinking blankly, her hand clutching the duvet.

Diluc wrapped his around hers without thinking.

"Did I wake you?"

(Y/N)'s eyes fluttered shut again. Diluc couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips.

His thumb drew small shapes across her hand, watching her snuggle into it with the smallest tired whine.

"Go back to sleep," he whispered softly.

"What're you doing awake..?" (Y/N) murmured.

Diluc didn't answer. (Y/N)'s eyes slowly opened once again.

"I was... having a glass of water," Diluc lied.

(Y/N) pouted. "Really..? You weren't having nightmares, were you?" She smiled, pulling in Diluc's hand as if it were a cuddly toy.

Diluc could tell she was still in a half-sleep state. There was no point telling her unnecessary truths.

"I may have," Diluc mumbled.